Mac G3 audio output

Reaction score
Just got a free mac G3. old, but still works great. Tha audio output seems to be a toslink connector ( ie optical and digital) Anyone know how to get this working. Toslink cable ? D/A converter? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
Free Mac? I'd love if someone gave things like that to me. :D

What are you connecting it to? You could connect it to Dolby or DTS Decoders.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you sure this is an iMac G3? What are the specs? Do you have a pic you could share? I have never seen a Toslink jack on any G3 iMac.

The first iMacs I ever saw with a TosLink jack were the iMac G5's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015 15", Powerbook G4 17" 2004
If it is a G5 whoever gave you it for free must love you a lot!

OP
J
Reaction score
toslink

I don't have a phot, but audio output plug is square and stereo min jack doesn't fit in there.

Reaction score
I don't have a phot, but audio output plug is square and stereo min jack doesn't fit in there.

Even this has my curiosity...

Since you don't have a picture, can you describe the overall shape, size, color of your Mac? What is the part/serial # of your Mac? Such general information would go a long way to helping figure out the answer to your question.

Can you describe the symbol directly above, under, or next to this square output?

Because, quite frankly, the only square audio output I know of is a fiber optic (digital) out, found on DVD/Blu-Ray players, 5.1 surround amps, and such.

Luposian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.