• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

how to watch dvd's and copy them on MBP

Reaction score
Hi guys when I put in a dvd and click the disk in Finder I get an audio folder (which is empty) and a video folder which has many different items in. How do I play the dvd though? i have VLC, windows media player and realplayer.

I also would like to copy the dvd to my hard drive.

PLEASE HELP ME

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
I can't help you with the first issue, other than to suggest right-clicking and opening with Quicktime to see if that works.

But to copy the dvd to your hard drive, download Handbrake. It's free and very easy to use. There are a ton of tutorials out there for it as well.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Try using the DVD player in the application folder.

OP
G
Reaction score
ok I can watch the dvd with dvd player no problems but however when I make a duplicate of the dvd it appears on my desktop as a folder called UNDEFINED. when I click this it has 2 folder 1 audio and 1 video. so how can I watch the dvd once it is copied onto my desktop?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
DVD player should be able to play the DVD fine unless the disc is damaged. You mentioned though that the disc shows up in Finder which means that there is a good chance that the disc is fine. There is no need to open it in Finder. Unless you have changed a setting, DVD player should open automatically.
I also would like to copy the dvd to my hard drive.
Discussion of ripping DVD's is against the forums rules. See here for more info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.