Need a good Mac Magazine

Reaction score
I have seen a few Mac magazines on the book stands, but one of them just looked like a bunch of Mac ads. I don't need to be sold on Mac... duh, once you go Mac you never go back, however I'd like some literature that might be a little more on the techie side and in-depth on how-to's and such. Any magazine recommendations?

thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I had subs to Macworld and Mac Life for a while, but I find I learn more just by using this site (my nose is turning brown) and just using Google when I have a problem. I know a computer is much less convenient on the can, but I digress.

Reaction score
I read MacWorld and MacLife. If you like more project-driven magazines, iCreate is a good one. The edition with the DVD runs $15 per issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz intel core2duo,ati HD2400, aluminum 20" with a 1gig of ddr2 800mhz. 250gig HD OSx (10.5.6)
Save yourself the cash and head over to Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done.. The cover everything from Win7 to Ubuntu and OSX. it's a great place to hear to about the new software, incredible tips, industry news, and software review. Granted its mainly a blog, but its awesome. check it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
I also have subscriptions to MacLife and Macworld. MacLife is definitely my favourite though.

OP
I
Reaction score
why is MacLife your favorite? someone else mentioned to me that they liked that one too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
why is MacLife your favorite? someone else mentioned to me that they liked that one too.

MacLife has a lot of step-by-step instructions on how to use different programs. The reviews are really practical. You get a pro-con list right on the page as well as useful comparisons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
MacFormat

Being a switcher, I looked around (in the UK) for an interesting magazine on the Mac. The only one that passed my tests was MacFormat - the others seemed to have more ads and focused on news rather than articles on OSX, software and machines. It's also available in North America. Check out its Website - MacFormat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
MacFormat which is published in the UK is definitely the best magazine available. It is very expensive if bought singly at the newsstand, but is cheaper if you get a subscription. It contains fewer ads and is full of tutorials. I also read Mac World, but I gave up on Mac Life when it had a tutorial on how to make a bonsai garden out of your old iPod.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a subscription to MacWorld, but can't say that I'm particularly impressed with it. It seems like the advertisers get the best reviews for their products and there's very few in-depth tutorials that go beyond the novice level. I find that I just don't get anything out of MacWorld that I wouldn't otherwise find online.

MacLife seems more about flash than substance, with vast areas of the page covered in graphic art and very little in the way of content. I've picked a few up at the Borders, but I find myself just paging through it finding very little of interest.

Perhaps I am spoiled by MaximumPC, which really seems to be a good balance of solid reviews, how-to articles and editorial commentary.

I have yet to see Mac Format at Borders, but I do remember picking up Amiga Format years ago there and always enjoyed it. I'll have to look harder for it - thanks frazm737.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.