• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Images added to iMovie '09 causing problems

Reaction score
I have been creating some graphics in PNG format and passing them on to a fellow amateur to be included in the some highlight videos of sporting events as a sort of television style overlay.

I have created the images so that they fit the video resolution exactly, and as far as I know, the images are just added in as if they were frames "on top" of the video.

There were no problems originally. He was able to add one that appeared for about 5-10 seconds at the beginning of a 9-10 minute clip, that is outputted to comply with Youtube HD requirements. I added a second at the end of a video... a further 5-10 in duration. No problems.

The problem seems to have occurred when I gave him a 3rd image that runs for most of the length of the video. It is just a little score overlay in the corner, but the image is still the size of the video (1280x720 resolution).

With that 3rd image included, it seems to "break" the video... The outputted video chugged along and quality was much worse than if it wasn't included.

If you are still reading... it seems that we have isolated the problem, but have no idea go get around it.

Any idea anyone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.