• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Editing HD Feature Film in FCP on macbookpro

Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be editing an HD feature length film this summer on my macbookpro (purchased august 2006). I am looking to upgrade my ram to its maximum capacity-- 2gb. Any brand suggestions? Should I just pay a little more and stick with Apple's so I know it's reliable?

Also, because of the large file size, I will be keeping the capture scratch on external harddrives and editing off this ( I am thinking a 1 TB 'my book'
-- any other suggestions?) .

In case of a crash, I will be mirroring one external harddrive to another external harddrive just in case. To keep it light for the computer I will be editing the film in 10 eight minute segments and nesting these individual timelines into the master timeline.

I am also about to update FCP 5 to Final Cut Pro Studio 6-- will I be able to open up FCP 5 files in FCP 6?

I did a test run, editing a twelve minute timeline in FCP 5 with my original RAM which amounts to 1 gb. It went very smoothly editing off an external HD and never gave me any problems, so I am hoping this luck follows me into the summer.

Last thing: I am always worried about how hot my laptop gets-- it can't be good for the computer-- so I will have a giant external household fan blowing on it while I edit with headphones, and only edit for about an hour, hour and a half at a time. I have looked into some base fans for the laptop, but I think my way might prove to cool the laptop better, even if it is noiser. Does anyone know how to prevent the computer from overheating?

If any one has any reccomendations about the above or general suggestions before I begin they would be very much appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Hope to hear from many of you soon, Thanks very much,
Kevin

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am also about to update FCP 5 to Final Cut Pro Studio 6-- will I be able to open up FCP 5 files in FCP 6?
Yes Final Cut Pro 6 can open Final Cut Pro 5 files, but not the other way around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi All,

I will be editing an HD feature length film this summer on my macbookpro (purchased august 2006). I am looking to upgrade my ram to its maximum capacity-- 2gb. Any brand suggestions? Should I just pay a little more and stick with Apple's so I know it's reliable?

By no means do you need to get your RAM from Apple. They don't use anything special... you can get the same Samsung modules they use elsewhere for much less. Or modules made by others with identical specs that work just as well. I got mine from Mac RAM Direct. Their site is very helpful in picking out the right modules.
Mac RAM Direct - Discount Premium Certified Apple iMac PowerBook iBook PowerMac RAM Memory Sales

Also, because of the large file size, I will be keeping the capture scratch on external harddrives and editing off this ( I am thinking a 1 TB 'my book'
-- any other suggestions?) .

Well there are faster devices, like an external RAID array using multiple drives in a stripe, but that can get pricey. I imagine a MyBook will suffice. Make sure you stick to one that uses Firewire 400 and a 7200 rpm drive.

Last thing: I am always worried about how hot my laptop gets-- it can't be good for the computer-- so I will have a giant external household fan blowing on it while I edit with headphones, and only edit for about an hour, hour and a half at a time. I have looked into some base fans for the laptop, but I think my way might prove to cool the laptop better, even if it is noiser. Does anyone know how to prevent the computer from overheating?

I'm not convinced that your solution is the best solution. The bottom of your laptop will still be in direct contact with the desk surface and thus transferring heat downwards, where the fan you plan to use will be least effective on. I'd consider a cooling stand composed of a couple small fans and perhaps a heat sink for optimal effectiveness. Here's a few:
Welcome to BYTECC
Notebook Cooling - Cooler Master

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
Is this going to be true HD footage? Cause if you're editing with less than 4GB of RAM, good luck. It'll really bog down rendering time among other things.

As far as a hard drive go, regardless of the capacity try to shoot for the highest RPM and data transfer rate possible (i.e. 7,200+ RPM, Firewire 800)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Is this going to be true HD footage? Cause if you're editing with less than 4GB of RAM, good luck. It'll really bog down rendering time among other things.

As far as a hard drive go, regardless of the capacity try to shoot for the highest RPM and data transfer rate possible (i.e. 7,200+ RPM, Firewire 800)...

Ah yes... you are absolutely right. I had it in my head that FW 800 wouldn't have been on his model of MacBooks yet, but a quick look at EveryMac squashed that. As for the RAM, assuming it's this model, Apple supports up to 3 GB of RAM, but you *can* use up to 4 GB. It's just that part of that extra GB goes to waste. See this article.

Reaction score
That article actually is somewhat misleading. My MBP actually access all 4, not sure what they're talking about "overlap", and this from a 20+ year IT engineer. If you install one 2GB card, and one 1GB card, you'll have degraded performance. And FCP needs all the horspower it can get. And read the red print at the top! This "claim" is only for the very first batch of MBP's that came out.

If you're editing HD, you have to go with FW800, and this will bog down even with low overhead HD formats like DVCPRO-HD. If it's HDV, you'll really want eSATA RAID 0 or 1 system. Other World Computing has about the best RAM and Drives for this at the best prices I've found. Customer service is top notch. But FW800 will bog down really bad for any flavor of HDV.

1TB RAID 0 eSATA 7200rpm drive is your best bet. HD will push a MBP to it's limits, too. But it can be done. Don't plan on having a lot of success with Multiclips on a MBP with HDV, either. HDV is power hungry due to it's Long GOP nature.

And get a laptop stand, and don't worry about the heat, really. I use this set up a lot in the field for HD work.

Also, you are on the right track to cut things up into small Sequences. Remember feature films are editing in small chunks. Normally, each "scene" is an individual Sequence, regardless of how long or short. But a feature film scene is rarely more than a few minutes long. Then drop them all into a Master Output Sequence for final renders and export.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.