Installing a pkg, but seeing no uninstall option

Reaction score
I installed a package on my machine. Didn't like it. Trashed the application. It didn't delete the desktop alias it created. Deleted that too. Coming from windows, I want to make sure that I completely removed the app. I know that when you delete a self contained app (dragging the app into applications from a dmg), and not a pkg, that's how you delete it. Is there anything else I need to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
you might want to try AppCleaner or AppZapper to clear out all files associated with an app. It's free and easy to use. Just drag the app icon to AppCleaner and the app and all its other files will appear, ready to be totally deleted.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I installed a package on my machine. Didn't like it. Trashed the application. It didn't delete the desktop alias it created. Deleted that too. Coming from windows, I want to make sure that I completely removed the app. I know that when you delete a self contained app (dragging the app into applications from a dmg), and not a pkg, that's how you delete it. Is there anything else I need to do?
You would be surprised by what gets left behind after you uninstall an application on Windows. Anything that the uninstaller can't account for is left on your machine. So, any file created after the program is installed (ie. some ini files) may not get deleted.

I agree with Oneironaut. Try one of those applications. Using them will allow you to delete all associated files with a particular program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.