• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

I want to use iDVD's OneStep DVD mode

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I hope this is the right place to post my question.
Recently I got a digital camera (Sony HDR SR11). I want to use iDVD to burn my videos to DVD discs. I happily found iDVD support DV name OneStep DVD.
But now I meet problem.

I use USB wire to connect my DV to iMac and insert a blank D9 disc. Then I click OneStep DVD button. It prompts a Alert asking me to connect carmera to computer using FireWire cable. What is this? It is a AV wire or something?

I only have USB connection wire in Sony's package. Do I have to buy a FireWire? cable?

:Grimmace: :Grimmace: thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
Which version of iLife do you have?

According to the macworld review of your camera, it can be imported by iMovie08
without an issue.

I've played around with the new USB HD camcorders and it seems to me that only iMovie08 or later will support the way they like their footage imported. So it may be that you either need to buy a Firewire cable if there's a firewire port on your camcorder (and Mac) or upgrade your iLife suite.

OP
T
Reaction score
oh, you remind me. Mac has iMovie. My imovie app is 09 verison, 8.0.2
my idvd is version 7.0.3(1110). does this mean it is 07 version?

anyway, I cannot first import my video into imovie, do some edit job. then use idvd.

OneStep dvd is great. I think i need to buy a firewire cable. uhhhh...

thank you so much. aj-uk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Yes, you need to buy a firewire cable so transfer will be faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.