Computer is running hot under Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (Unibody) MB471LL/A, 15.4", 2.53 GHz, 320GB HD, 4GB RAM, 9600 GT Graphics...
Okay, before I get bashed on, I've done my homework on this subject; I just wanted to ask a few questions that I didn't quite feel comfortable about.

So, I got my new Macbook Pro Unibody and installed Windows XP Pro 32 bit using Bootcamp. I also installed rEFIt without issues. As we all know, you can cook an egg on the macbook while running windows; you can cook a steak while playing COD4. :Oops:

Although Windows doesn't properly run the fans; this is definitely not the entire problem. I installed smcFanControl and ramped up the fans to 4500-6000 RPM and it helps, but the computer still gets scorching hot under heavy load. It gets really hot just sitting idle with no load at all. Whereas OSX is icy cold and running smooth at all times it seems.

Yes, we all know this and I hate to beat a dead horse into the ground, BUT:

Has anyone ever figured out why this happens, other than the fans?

Does bootcamp run similar to a virtual system or does it cleanly install Windows on the partition?

Perhaps Windows OS's and Apple hardware just don't jive correctly?

Has anyone tried installing Windows by other means than bootcamp? What sort of results did you have?

Has anyone heard of Apple taking the issue seriously and them planning to do anything about it?
I assume no since this has been going on for years.

I'm a computer guy and it just boggles my mind how the hardware can run THAT HOT under absolutely no load whatsoever. Two OS's doing nothing, one is ice cold, the other is fire and flames...hmmmmm

I've been reading about this for weeks on every forum I could find, but no one really offered up anything other than fan control workarounds. I'm looking for a more permanent solution if there is one.

I'd appreciate any and all feedback on this if you guys/gals don't mind rehashing a redundant subject.

Thanks! ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Bootcamp is basically an installer, Fdisk that splits the main partition into 2 partitions (Like Partition Magic) and makes Windows boot on EFI Firmware. Otherwise Windows is natively booting. Bootcamp has drivers for Windows but when you reboot into Windows it's like Windows natively on that machine.

To me the heat issues is all to do with Windows not controlling the fans like OSX is designed to do. Microsoft does not write Windows for the Mac but OSX is turned to a Mac and has way better control. My take anyway.

And yes, my 2.16 C2D Mini ran hotter in Windows XP or Vista when I tried it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Download and install the "RMClock" utility into Windows XP or Vista. It can make your MacBook or MacBook Pro run 20 to 30 percent cooler while in Windows.

Read the instructions carefully - download from here: Link

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting chscag. Thanks for that URL.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (Unibody) MB471LL/A, 15.4", 2.53 GHz, 320GB HD, 4GB RAM, 9600 GT Graphics...
Thanks for the input all. :D

I'll try that program and see how it work out.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same subject, different question?

Has anyone noticed whether XP 32 bit runs cooler on a virtual system (Parallels etc..) on the OSX side?

I'll do all of my gaming on the Boot Camp XP install, but I need to use Visual Studio for my college classes and would prefer to run it on the OSX side if it were to run cooler under a virtual system.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same subject, different question?

Has anyone noticed whether XP 32 bit runs cooler on a virtual system (Parallels etc..) on the OSX side?

I'll do all of my gaming on the Boot Camp XP install, but I need to use Visual Studio for my college classes and would prefer to run it on the OSX side if it were to run cooler under a virtual system.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it. :)

Okay, so now I'm totally confused...

I installed Parallels (which is totally cool by the way) and ran My Boot Camp XP partition under that.

I let it run idle for a bit and then loaded up Visual Studio to run a few of my programming assignments... It hovered around 47C to 53C the entire time. It was barely warm to the touch. Whereas running XP natively I could seriously cook a steak on it and I'm guessing it up running in the high 70's to 80C; not gaming mind you. I know that fan control is a major part of it, but wow! I cannot believe the difference. Two operating systems running = cooler than one OS running...hmmmm.

I've come to the conclusion that I will be running all of my apps in Parallels and only game on the XP partition.

I'm left a little confused but with more appreciation for the Apple utilities. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.