New Mac user here, Hey Everyone!

Reaction score
As stated I just purchased my first Mac, I bought a 24" 2.8gig iMac with 4gig of ram. Let me say I am not technically challenged. I have been a PC user since the old DOS operating systems, but figured it was time to give OS X a shot. Anyway I hooked a 500gig USB hard drive up for the time capsule back up. It has only been hooked up for a week and it has already used 135 gigs of space. At this rate i'll have to get a new hard drive every month. I have to be doing something wrong. Some setting, something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Time Machine will use all the space that you give it. Then it throws out the older when full for new backups. I think I have hear that it condenses the older backups as well but I'm not sure. If you want to use the drive for other things, which some may say is a bad idea, you can partition the drive as I have done. I partitioned a 500GB in half and gave one part to TM and the other for whatever. So when the drive is plugged in it is mounted and shown as 2 separate drive on the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Welcome to mac , and dakineyj has got the answer of you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, I thought I was doing something wrong. I will probably be a regular for a while till I get used to the iMac, So thanks inadvance for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Yes, Time Machine will automatically delete the oldest backup, but also I think it only backs up what was changed since the last time. In other words, it doesn't make a whole new copy of your system each time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.