Need a copy of Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Refurb Mackbook
I have two pcs, but they didn't come with recovery/ windows discs. I want to install windows on my macbook, but i'm not buying a copy of windows. Is there a way to copy windows off of my pcs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No, there is no way to lift a Windows install off of a machine that it is already installed on, you absolutely need installation media of some type.

Also, it is against the Windows EULA for you to install a single copy of Windows on more than one machine. If that is what you are planning to do, know that it is against forum rules to discuss such things.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Refurb Mackbook
No, there is no way to lift a Windows install off of a machine that it is already installed on, you absolutely need installation media of some type.

Also, it is against the Windows EULA for you to install a single copy of Windows on more than one machine. If that is what you are planning to do, know that it is against forum rules to discuss such things.

That's pretty lame. Most pc's don't come with window's disc anymore... So do all you guys buy a new copy of windows? I'd sooner by the Mac version of the few programs I need than buy a copy of windows to use once a week on my mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
That's pretty lame. Most pc's don't come with window's disc anymore... So do all you guys buy a new copy of windows?
Yes.
I'd sooner by the Mac version of the few programs I need than buy a copy of windows to use once a week on my mac!
If you're only needing to use Windows maybe once a week on your Mac, then it probably would be more practical, economical and pragmatic to just buy the Mac version of the software.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you are a student and qualify under Microsoft's DreamSpark program, you can get Windows Server 2003 and 2008 for free. Install those and with a few tweaks, you can have a Windows install indistinguishable from XP or Vista (except for a few idiosyncrasies). After doing some research though, these will not work under Boot Camp so you would have to virtualize it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.