New to the Apple Universe - pondering about options

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'd like to introduce myself as a new member. My name is Pascal and I am highly interested in joining the Apple world! :) However, there are loads of questions and I think the guys at the Apple store are already sick of me being there so often! ;D

Like with other things in life, it is my first time and I want to do it right! :Smirk:

Let me list some important points about what I need a computer for:

Purpose
  • Work (Office Applications, Database mgmt., Internet research
  • Leisure (Gaming, Music, Videos)

Required benefits
  • Large screen (~24")
  • Portability
  • Advanced gaming
  • Flawless handling of large databases (more than MS Excl could handle)

This list probably seems undoable but after reading many forums and (as mentioned) asking lots of questions to the Apple guys, I was wondering about the following two potential setups:

1:
Powerful Macbook Pro + large screen
+ All benefits of a Laptop
+ Large screen
+ I would say average gaming performance
+ I guess flawless database management capabilities
- Not 100% gaming oriented

Inexpensive Work Notebook (the old white Macbook maybe) + Powerfull iMac
+ All benefits of a Laptop
+ Large screen
+ Good to very good gaming performance
+ No problems with database management
- Very high total expenses

Questions:

1. Is it possible to use a Macbook and an iMac together. Like for example, I come home from work and I would like to finish something that I have on my Notebook but would like to use the 24" screen of my iMac. In other words, does the iMac offer the same "docking station"-like features as the 24" LED Cinema display?

2. I know setup 2 seems insane but I can see one huge advantage. I could buy a rather inexpensive Laptop now, having in mind that I have some freedom to wait for a new iMac line to come out.

Sorry, if I might spam this forum with me pondering so much but I guess this is a great forum to share opinions and also to chit chat about all the varieties Apple offers to its consumers.

Thanks a tone, guys!

Pascal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think your requirement for "Advanced Gaming" may be a show stopper for you. Unless you plan to run Windows on your Mac, it's just not going to happen.

Docking station? No, but you may be able to mirror your laptop to the iMacs screen. Not sure, never tried it myself.

To be frank, based on your above post I think you might be better off with a Windows PC.

Reaction score
Database: Filemaker (or Bento) (made by Filemaker). Welcome to Mac!!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Gaming on a notebook is blah. Seriously people keep it separate. Especially gaming on a Mac is a no go since most of the games are for Windows.

If you want to deal with boot camp then fine whatever, just don't expect to do any hardcore gaming because you can't overclock the CPU,GPU, and the RAM.

If you want to hardcore game then get yourself a windows gaming rig, for everything else your Mac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As much research as you're doing, looks like you're the type that still enjoys learning new things. That's a big plus from the start. Getting your tasks accomplished will be different and there will be a learning curve, albeit not as big as someone touching a windows machine for the first time.

Sounds like you're going to put the large screen or the iMac at home and carry the notebook to work. For a proper recommendation, need to know how much you are going to be using the notebook at work? If you'll be using it more than just occasionally, you'll find that 13" MB screen is going to be too small. Especially if you're getting into your 40's and your arms are already or soon will be getting too short. Sorry, us old farts take age into consideration also. My recommendations would not be the same for a 25 yr old as they would be for a 50 yr old.

A third option would be to get the MB, a 22-24" monitor for work and home and then build yourself a gaming rig for home. A pretty darn good gaming rig can be built for about $1200 with the new i7 920 chip and O/C it. And this option would be cheaper by a tad than option 2. Or just get yourself an Xbox or PS3 for your gaming needs. The problem with building a new rig, if you end up being one of those that really likes OS X, 12 months down the road you may find yourself regretting not getting the iMac instead of having yet another Win box in the house.

As an old PC gamer, option 2 does not sound insane to me. Of course, a good recommendation also depends on what your real budget happens to be. If I was ready to buy, don't think I'd wait for a new iMac though. This model just came out in March, so you'll more than likely have a 6-8 month wait for a new lineup.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for jumping in this discussion, Guys.

This is a quite big step for me as I have never had anything else than a Win mashine. And I must say, I am not switching out of anger or desperation. I never had any problems with my Win laptop. However, this was a work pc and it had the specs of a coffee mashine. It was just a normal pc and did its job fine and reliably for 4.5 years. The only reason I am even suggesting a change is curiosity! Apple simply got me on their hook! ;D

I think, I might have put too much emphasis on the gaming part in my post. I have not played any games in years and do not even know if I am that much into it really.

Games I used to play were Battlefield 1943 and C&C series'. I read in another thread here that the current C&C was tested on the Alu MB and it was fine. The Apple guys did not want to confirm that which I found very bad.

You know what, I wish I could just go to the apple store with my favourite game and try it on one of their computers before I buy one. It works in Hifi stores with music cds, why not with games in a computer store???

Bobtomay:
What you are suggesting is not such bad an idea actually. Building a gaming rig for one purpose and one purpose only! Gaming! Just as if I had a (very expensive) console.

I work at my laptop like every day and I use it at home, on the plane, and at the office. Seriously, everything speaks against switching to Apple. I could buy a great working office laptop from Dell for 700$ and a game station PC for like 1500$ even incl. a large screen and work and leisure will be perfectly seperated. But this bloody Apple, it got me hooked up. I need to get it out of my system! Maybe I should go for the Win PCs setup and buy an iphone to satisfy my Apple lust. :Smirk:

Keep it coming guys. I am happy to discuss this with you.

Pascal

PS: I am 25.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well what interest you most about apple products? Is it the OS or just the look of the Machine?

If it's just the OS you could always just buy an older generation MBP, which are perfectly fine. Will do everything and even some gaming.

Reaction score
Thanks for jumping in this discussion, Guys.

This is a quite big step for me as I have never had anything else than a Win mashine. And I must say, I am not switching out of anger or desperation. I never had any problems with my Win laptop. However, this was a work pc and it had the specs of a coffee mashine. It was just a normal pc and did its job fine and reliably for 4.5 years. The only reason I am even suggesting a change is curiosity! Apple simply got me on their hook! ;D

I think, I might have put too much emphasis on the gaming part in my post. I have not played any games in years and do not even know if I am that much into it really.

Games I used to play were Battlefield 1943 and C&C series'. I read in another thread here that the current C&C was tested on the Alu MB and it was fine. The Apple guys did not want to confirm that which I found very bad.

You know what, I wish I could just go to the apple store with my favourite game and try it on one of their computers before I buy one. It works in Hifi stores with music cds, why not with games in a computer store???

Bobtomay:
What you are suggesting is not such bad an idea actually. Building a gaming rig for one purpose and one purpose only! Gaming! Just as if I had a (very expensive) console.

I work at my laptop like every day and I use it at home, on the plane, and at the office. Seriously, everything speaks against switching to Apple. I could buy a great working office laptop from Dell for 700$ and a game station PC for like 1500$ even incl. a large screen and work and leisure will be perfectly seperated. But this bloody Apple, it got me hooked up. I need to get it out of my system! Maybe I should go for the Win PCs setup and buy an iphone to satisfy my Apple lust. :Smirk:

Keep it coming guys. I am happy to discuss this with you.

Pascal

PS: I am 25.

Ever thought of getting a mac laptop and an XBox 360? I gave up using over priced PCs for casual gaming years ago.

A MacBook Pro and a big screen is a great combo. Depending on your needs, the new MacBooks are also great computers. I was a hard core windows user for many, many years. I switched to Mac 3 years ago and couldn't be happier.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you can get a 15"-17" Dell for $700 that will do everything you need for work - that's what I'd get. Add a docking station and a large monitor for the office and you're good to go. Hopefully work would pay for all of that.

When it comes to the job, always go for the best equipment for the job. The best equipment is not always the most expensive, but the one that increases productivity. For a machine to be worth the additional expenditure, it would need to increase productivity to save labor to pay itself. You're not really going to find any time savings with a Mac in a work environment where you already have your workflow down.

As for your Apple lust - for most of us it gets worse after you get your first Mac. My first one - a MBP. Have added a MB, 2 iPods and 2 iPhones to the collection and still want both a mini and an iMac. Where will it stop?

Nevermind, we were talking about your lust. It really depends on how much personal time you spend on a computer at home. If you're on one a fair amount of time, think I'd go with the iMac. If not, the iPhone may tide your lust. Since you haven't been into gaming for a while, either one of these may provide you with enough entertainment value for the time you have available for that pastime.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ever thought of getting a mac laptop and an XBox 360? I gave up using over priced PCs for casual gaming years ago.

A MacBook Pro and a big screen is a great combo. Depending on your needs, the new MacBooks are also great computers. I was a hard core windows user for many, many years. I switched to Mac 3 years ago and couldn't be happier.

Yes I have. Although most of my friends play PC games so that is why I tend to go the same way. For multiplayer games.

And to answer Crimson's question. I am interested in a MAC because of the brand. I am honest. I do not really think the MACs are worth for their internals per se but I like the brand. Could be comparable to the 1980's Ferrari cars. The cars were crap and unreliable. People still adored them. (For the record: I am not saying Macs are crap or unreliable)

If you can get a 15"-17" Dell for $700 that will do everything you need for work - that's what I'd get. Add a docking station and a large monitor for the office and you're good to go. Hopefully work would pay for all of that.

When it comes to the job, always go for the best equipment for the job. The best equipment is not always the most expensive, but the one that increases productivity. For a machine to be worth the additional expenditure, it would need to increase productivity to save labor to pay itself. You're not really going to find any time savings with a Mac in a work environment where you already have your workflow down.

As for your Apple lust - for most of us it gets worse after you get your first Mac. My first one - a MBP. Have added a MB, 2 iPods and 2 iPhones to the collection and still want both a mini and an iMac. Where will it stop?

Nevermind, we were talking about your lust. It really depends on how much personal time you spend on a computer at home. If you're on one a fair amount of time, think I'd go with the iMac. If not, the iPhone may tide your lust. Since you haven't been into gaming for a while, either one of these may provide you with enough entertainment value for the time you have available for that pastime.

A low level Dell would be a work only solution which is good. I am a freelance Consultant so I will have to pay for it myself. :Smirk: You are right. I am perfectly fine working with Windows computers and that is what my clients and partners use. I shouldnt mix my interest in Apple with my job.

This is an idea that just came to my mind:

Since I do not really know if I like MACs or their OS I could give a refurbished Macbook a go for private usage to see if I can get used to it. This would be a relatively risk free start in a new hobby. If I hate it, I will sell it losing a few bucks. If I love it, I will end up like you! :D In addition, it would bridge some time until the potentially new MBs will come out. Just an idea.

About your Apple "fleet". Wow. You are addicted! ;D I already have an iPod Nano (late 2007 version). It's the coolest thing I have ever had. I will definately go for the iPhone eventually but I will wait for the 3rd Generation.

Thanks

Pascal

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.