• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie Audio Problem - can iMovie sound adjust louder than 200%?

Reaction score
iMovie Audio Problem - can it adjust louder than 200%?

My audio came out too low from my Canon DV. When I edit in iMovie, I can adjust the volume to 200%, but it's still not loud enough. I was using a new mic during recording, and it sounded fine on the camera, but isn't transferring well.

Any ideas appreciated. I would like to try 300% of my original audio, if possible. Is there some way? Thanks.
Fiona

OP
F
Reaction score
My audio came out too low from my Canon DV. When I edit in iMovie, I can adjust the volume to 200%, but it's still not loud enough. I was using a new mic during recording, and it sounded fine on the camera, but isn't transferring well.

Any ideas appreciated. I would like to try 300% of my original audio, if possible. Is there some way? Thanks.
Fiona

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
******** Merged Duplicate Threads ********

Only one thread per question please. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Please, ALWAYS mention what version of software you are using.

You could try exporting just the audio and re-importing and increasing the volume again.

On the same idea, export, and edit the audio in something like Audacity, and then re-import.

I'm not sure what to export and re-import as, but I think AIFF in Linear PCM format at 48kHz and 16bit sample size in stereo is a good place to start.

Reaction score
The easiest method i know

1) Right click on the video clip, and select Detach Audio
2) Now you will see two tracks. You can turn the audio up to 200%
3) The trick is to click on the Video and go to the Audio Settings of the video. You will notice that the volume is 0%. Turn it up to 200% and voila!

I know this is a bit sketchy, but hey it works if you need a quick fix.

Note: Remember to do all the splicing and transitions etc before you detach the audio!

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you know that here in the future (2018) I used your method for boosting the audio on a video that suffered from low volume and it worked perfectly. Thank you!
I detached the audio, boosted the audio on the new audio-track to 175% and boosted the audio on the video-only track to 100%. Thank you for the heads-up that the video-only portion would regress to zero as a default, and would need a boost up to 100. In doing so, I learned that the audio can actually be boosted as high as 500, which I didn't realize.

3) The trick is to click on the Video and go to the Audio Settings of the video. You will notice that the volume is 0%. Turn it up to 200% and voila!

Note: Remember to do all the splicing and transitions etc before you detach the audio!

Reaction score

oh, yes, I found it thanks! I'm totaly blind...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.