OSX upgrade question

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just recently started to use my eMac again after a few years and need some advice about upgrading things.

My current system is OSX 10.3.9 (panther? i think?) and I am also using Safari 1.3.2.

Anyway I have run into a few problems doing things online, as I have an old operating system and browser. I have been told that I should upgrade to Tiger (10.4.11) or Leopard (10.5.5) and also at least Safari 2.0 or later (3.2.1).

I am wondering if anyone can tell me:
a) How to upgrade these things and
b) If there would be any problems doing so? For example will all the stuff I currently have on my hard drive still be ok, during/after the upgrade?

The only constraints I have are that I am very rusty with using all this stuff (hence asking in here) and I'm broke (so need to do whatever works out to be cheapest/best at the current time).

Thanks in advance ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What is the processor speed and Ram for that eMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I've got Tiger (10.4.11) running on my fiancée's eMac. That system is a 1.25GHz with 512MB of RAM. It runs very stably and is pretty solid. I mean, some modern web pages still give it to load and run them smoothly, but it's a solid set up.

I would recommend Tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Ok here is what i would do based on your question - get a copy of tiger it will be cheaper than a used copy of Leopard.
Then the next step is based on having back up copy of your data - reformat the HD using Disk Utility and then load Tiger right off the Install disk then use Migration Assistant to copy your data off the back up to new Tiger but do not copy any applications using Migration Assistant in Applications/Utilities.
If you do not have back up - Tsk Tsk Living on the edge.
Go thru Panther and remove anything from Apps that is made by a third party so that you have just a basic Panther setup . Then use install disk to upgrade to Tiger.
In both cases you will need to download the Combo updater for Tiger to upgrade install to 10.4.11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tiger was a while ago for me - so if the Tiger Migration Assistant does not allow exclusion of Applications then delete 3rd Party Apps out of the app folder before doing the Migration and after getting the basic OS sorted then redownload 3rd party apps as needed.

Reaction score
Put all the memory you can. You could Archive and Install, that's what I did going from Panther to Tiger. That way you get to keep Graphic converter, just drag it over to the Tiger, you might want to get PowerPoint Viewer and keep OS 9 so it works. I found Tiger faster than Leopard on my PowerBook.
Mac OS X: About the Archive and Install feature

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jram - cam you add the specs of the powerbook that ran tiger faster than leopard, it helps with info picture, and what you were doing that was faster. It all helps with everybody's learning.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies so far, i'll have more reading time tomorrow so I'll check those links.

2 quick Q's:
Re: 'get a copy of tiger it will be cheaper than a used copy of Leopard.' Where would you recommend the best place to look for this would be?

and
If I have applications that I no longer have the discs for, will I lose these when I upgrade the OS?

Thanks

Oh yeah I have alot of docs and pics and stuff backed up on cd, but would ideally like to get a hard drive to archive on properly...just need to figure out what I can afford to do :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Question 1 - depends where u live
Questin 2 - you mean pirated stuff? and what about your back up copy?

Reaction score
And install more memory. Your eMac can handle 2x1GB modules. it will be underpowered with 256MB This is the type of memory you need, note the p[rice and then shop around:-

Memory Upgrades for your Apple eMac (USB 2.0) 1.25GHz at OtherWorldComputing.com

This is incorrect, I had the same eMac and the maximum RAM it can hold is 1GB (2 x 512MB). I have just double checked this on the Crucial site too. Computer memory upgrades for Apple eMac (1.25GHz) Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

By the way, it ran Leopard pretty well with the 1GB of RAM but Tiger might be your best bet if you want maximum performance, it's up to you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Question 1 - depends where u live
Questin 2 - you mean pirated stuff? and what about your back up copy?

1. I live in London, UK.

2. When I was a student I got a couple of apps that were 'shared' around our group. I now have a few docs that obviously need those apps to open them, but can't afford to buy new copies of those apps! Haha yeah back up copies would have been a good idea...students what can you say :) I maybe could get hold of someone elses copy if I really had to, though I'm not really in touch with those guys these days.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok, I'm getting the impression from most replies that Tiger is the way to go?

New technology is great, except when it progresses faster than your budget does lol.

Reaction score
It's up to you, I know from experience that your machine will run Leopard just fine with 1GB RAM but performance seems slightly better with Tiger. There's not much noticeable difference to be honest, performance wise. Leopard in no way will make the machine crawl and runs at perfectly acceptable speeds i.m.o. and you'd only really notice any difference if you did a side by side comparison.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.