• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac-forum shows up in macwindows

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Source: MacWindows

Mac OS 9 clients authentication problem Win 2003 Server. September 15, 2003 -- Eric Garneau reports a problem and a solution with Mac OS 9 and Windows 2003 server, which he says has to do with authentication:

Here is a problem related by a friend with Mac OS 9.2.2 computers trying to access Windows 2003 Server file servers. Through the Chooser and AppleShare they see the server volumes but they can't log on to them. With Mac OS X 10.2 there is no problem accessing the volumes.

I suggested he try this solution I found with Google on Mac-forums.com .

I have FINALLY figured out what the **** is going on.

There is an issue with XP, that requires all authentication to be digitally sealed, or encrypted. Samba does not yet support this "feature" as it is an Active Directory thing.

So what you need to do is go into the Local Policy for XP Pro, or the Domain Policy for Win 2003 Server (which is basically XP server), and change the policy named Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always) to disabled. There is also one for server, I would disable that as well. You MUST reboot for the changes to take effect. Or you can stop and start some services which isn't as reliable, to me.

Keep in mind this is reducing the security on your XP / Win 2003 machines ( if you have any ). So do this at your own risk..."

And it did work. Maybe someone can offer an explanation or alternative, confirm or deny this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
That is most excellent. Kinda strange to see yourself quoted at the top of a Mac news site :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
:) Thats awesome news rman cool find!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.