How to do "direct audio streaming" on a mac?

Reaction score
Hey. I stream music over justin.tv often, but I think this is more of a mac issue than it is one with any particular website.

I'm using a mac now and I'm unable to stream music directly. I have to play it through speakers into a mic, which obviously results in much worse sound quality. My PC soundcard allowed me to just output the sound directly. Is there a way to do this with a macbook?

Help plzzzz!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You need to provide more info.

What do you mean by "stream music directly" and "output the sound directly"?

Directly to what? Your stereo receiver? external set of speakers?

Whatever - you have basically the same output on your MacBook you had on most desktops only it's a single combo port with a mini-plug - which allows you to go to standard RCA connections or use an optical cable.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I'll go into more detail.

I mean outputting the sound directly to the internet. Instead of playing a song through the speakers and into the microphone so that it goes to a program at which point the program outputs it to the people on the other end, I simply want to play the song on my computer and have that data go to the program and be received on the other end. Straight from the soundcard to the internet.

Does that help any?

I could do this with various programs such as winamp, yahoo, AIM and justin.tv on my PC :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.