Using macs in education

Reaction score
I'd like my students (kids aged from 10 -14) to develop their portfolios of work and have been encouraging them to do so electronically. Currently most have developed their own wikis, and this is working well enough - given the limitations of wikis for this purpose. We use macbooks (purchased within the last two years) and students have ready access to macbooks when they need. We have a reliable server and network (wireless) so all the hardware is in place. My concern is that wikis have obvious limitations. I had a play with iweb recently and saw enormous potential as an e-portfolio of work. Major problem was that I couldn't see a way to post documents (spreadsheets, word processing, whatever). The use of image, video and music was fantastic and user friendly (but also available through the wikis, though more 'clunkily') but the ability to post documents (easy in a wiki) is essential. Have I missed something? Any suggestions? Is there another way entirely for students to develop e-portfolios?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
yeah pretty much start a blog or get blackboard. Except that cost monies. >_<"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.