Love my iMac but have a few things that bother me.

Reaction score
I am partially hoping that this thread will help me find a new way of doing things.

First off syncing with my itunes and iphone.

With my PC the sync between itunes, outlook and the iphone was basically seamless.

You would think it would be that easy with my iphone and Entourage. I really hate the fact that it has to sync through both address book and ical to work correctly. I dont like using either of those (well iCal isnt bad but address book and mail are not that great).

And now (maybe I am doing something wrong) but every time I sync I lose all the pictures that I associated to contacts in the phone.

So the next thing, and this can just be a setup issue, is there a way to make a stack to see the most recenly opened documents without spotlight or going into the finder? I know there is a download stack but I want one that will list my most recently opened excel, word or powerpoint file etc.

Last thing is highlighting, I love using the keyboard for as much as I can with short cuts etc. So I am typing and want to highlight a bunch of things like say this entire sentence. In windows I would just hold shift and hit home or the back arrow and it would highlight, I cant do that in OSX unless I hold more keys down that I am aware of.

So I will say overall I love OSX, its faster, I have not had one crash or even app failure in the few months I have had it. Its just these few things I wish would work smoother.

I hate to say that I may go back to syncing my iphone with my work PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
i cant help you with all of this but can make some suggestions:

it took me a bit however i now like mail, ical, and address book. it will never replace Office in my heart since that is the only windows program i truly miss. i DO NOT care for Entourage at all and would most likely use Thunderbird before i used it. using the OS X programs would solve all your sync problems but again it takes getting use to.

there are a ton of shortcuts in OS X and the nice thing is that if there isnt one by default you can make one to do just about anything you can think of.

couple shortcut options:

1. first look here to make sure what you want doesnt already exist.

2. you can also create a keyboard shortcut which is built right into OS X. follow this thread.

3. you can use this guide and create scripts with shortcuts to do about anything.

hope the shortcut tips help but i cant do much with the entourage problem.

good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You would think it would be that easy with my iphone and Entourage. I really hate the fact that it has to sync through both address book and ical to work correctly. I dont like using either of those (well iCal isnt bad but address book and mail are not that great).
Personally, I don't think that anything involving Entourage would be easy. is there anything in particular that's keeping you from using Mail?

So the next thing, and this can just be a setup issue, is there a way to make a stack to see the most recenly opened documents without spotlight or going into the finder? I know there is a download stack but I want one that will list my most recently opened excel, word or powerpoint file etc.
 > Recent Items

Last thing is highlighting, I love using the keyboard for as much as I can with short cuts etc. So I am typing and want to highlight a bunch of things like say this entire sentence. In windows I would just hold shift and hit home or the back arrow and it would highlight, I cant do that in OSX unless I hold more keys down that I am aware of.
see fletch3's link. Most of them are pretty similar.
Since cmd-right arrow moves the insertion point to the right, shift-cmd-right arrow selects everything to the right.

OP
S
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think that anything involving Entourage would be easy. is there anything in particular that's keeping you from using Mail?

 > Recent Items

see fletch3's link. Most of them are pretty similar.
Since cmd-right arrow moves the insertion point to the right, shift-cmd-right arrow selects everything to the right.

Thanks for the links guys!

As for entourage, I know there are many things I do not like about MS products, but I have always liked Office, and use it often and daily at work. Although Entourage is not the exact same as Outlook its close enough in functionality and I do like it. I did play with Mail and while its easy to use it doesnt work the way I like it to. I dont mind changing things and the way I do things, but I must use Outlook and a PC for work and switching back and forth between the Mac and the PC is much easier when using those two programs.

Also Address Book is much less sophisticated then both Outlook and even Entourage.

If Apple made a great all in one Mail/Contact/Calendar program I would definitely try it out, they just dont right now. I am not a fan of separate programs for those areas.

People can say what they want about the MS Office suite, but outlook has always sync'd flawlessly with any phone I have had over the last few years and the almost 2 years I have had the iPhone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.