PC Pro to Mac: Networking

Reaction score
This may be long and probably can be found after hours and hours of searching multiple threads but I spent some time and give up. So, if you can help me, that would be great.

I have had a 17" iMac in my Den for a while for the kids to use for web etc. I just changed out my home/office PC for a beautiful 24" iMac. I understand that the Mac seems to work best if the files are stored on its hard drive (especially for music, pics, videos, etc.). I also want to use Mozy to back up that entire hard drive with all data.

Here are my two issues:

1) My 8 year old uses the 17" iMac to do his homework and has an e-mail account using Mail (I have some parental permissions for him). I would like him to easily access all his documents, music, pics, etc on the 24" iMac and have that work seamlessly for him in iTunes, iPhoto, etc. I have set up an account for him on the 24" iMac and have shared his directory. Sometimes he can access it and sometimes he can't. Either way, it requires that he connect to the 24" first before doing anything. How can I make this as seamless as possible for him.

2) My wife and I still use IBM WinXP laptops around the house. We want ALL of our home files to be stored on the 24" iMac and just access them seamlessly. I think I figured out how to do that as well. However, even though I have quicken on my laptop and can access the quicken file that is stored on my 24" iMac, it refuses to open remotely saying that it can't open. When I used to store that file on my home/office PC, it opened fine.

I have enabled all types of sharing on the 24". I guess I am just looking for a way to use my new computer as a file server (for Mozy purposes and to have a central place for everything) and I want all computers to work seamlessly with that "server". Is it possible? Do you have any suggestions to make this easier? Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.