• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What to do until June?

Reaction score
Well, its officially May, and that means only one month until the WWDC, possible OS/Hardware upgrades, and a potential student iPod discount. But I must confess, as an impatient, technogically hungry, want-it-now American teenager, one month seems like forever to wait:Smirk: ! Any ideas on how to ride out the waiting period?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
What to do? Save up your money for anything that might interest you (as Zoolook mentioned)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
What are you thinking of buying and what do you already have?

If you have no iPod, no Mac (or any other computer) and absolutely need both now, then don't wait. The current rumors are:

- Cheaper Macs (possibly a sub $1,000 Alum MacBook)
- New iPod Touch (sky's the limit, but more storage is most likely)
- Snow Leopard is coming... probably late summer is my guess
- Quad Core Macbook Pros are possible
- Quad Core or i7 iMacs are unlikely this early, but maybe December
- New iPhone is almost certain

What tickles your fancy?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Get a hobby and stop worrying about things that are so insignificant to your life. There are probably more important things to worry about. In school? Focus on that. Not in school? Work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get a hobby and stop worrying about things that are so insignificant to your life. There are probably more important things to worry about. In school? Focus on that. Not in school? Work.

Sunday blues? ;D

I think you're right for the record, but if someone is planning an upgrade, 4 weeks prior to WWDC might not be the best time to do it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Sunday blues? ;D
Since my summer has started and I've started my research, I've lost track of days. I work purely on day of the month now ;).

To rephrase my previous point in perhaps a nicer way, you need something to take your mind off of WWDC if you're worrying about rumored updates that are only going to be released a month from now (maybe). I have no idea where you are but if it's anywhere like where I am, go enjoy the nice weather.

As for a solution - find yourself a nice girl (or guy). That should occupy your time for the next month ;).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ah, an amusing variation on the classic "Buy Now or Wait Until Later" thread. I love these...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, an amusing variation on the classic "Buy Now or Wait Until Later" thread. I love these...
Clearly the answer is wait until later. Hold on, maybe it's buy now. I don't know - I'm confused ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i always get what i need when i can get it.. sure it is kool to have to the new stuff but it doesnt mean what you have wont do the things you need it to do anymore. but that is just me..lol

i personally am getting a iMac around july for my b-day (at least i hope). So i have to wait just like you, in the mean time i am just doing photography almost everyday. so just pick something you like to do and engulf yourself in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Well said wannabe. See, this is why I nominated you for MOTM!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i always get what i need when i can get it.. sure it is kool to have to the new stuff but it doesnt mean what you have wont do the things you need it to do anymore. but that is just me..lol

Same here, and good advice. I got a Black MacBook Core Duo 7 weeks before the Core 2 Duos came out... but I have never not been able to do anything in the 2.5 years I've had it, that I could have done on a C2D machine.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Write the next great American novel? >_<" Sorry couldn't resist.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Run 64-bit software? ;)

macwannabe makes a good point. If the Mac now does what you want, does it matter? I have a white MB and while the aluminum ones are nice, I don't regret waiting (didn't have much of a choice though). If you keep waiting because the next best thing might come out, you will never get your Mac.

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I didn't do a good job of clarifying that this is NOT a "should I buy now or wait?" thread. Just more of a amusing query as to what people are doing in May. Also, I am focusing on finishing school and working hard in this home stretch as any good student would!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm studying for law school finals. Then I'll be starting work at Superior Court. I'm looking for a second job and after posting my resume on Monster.com yesterday I've already gotten a handful of hits, so it looks as though I'll also be interviewing over the next couple of weeks. It's gonna be a good month :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Month of May: discourse analysis (scroll down the page if you're interested and don't know was DA is) for my research, paper writing and maybe getting an article together with another grad student for publication. In other words, being a good academic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I find I don't get all too hyped up over what's new coming down the pipe from Apple, yeah flame me all ya want but I pay more attention to the Windows side of things being an fervent gamer I always look at the new performance parts that well, Apple isn't going with yet, just my 2 cents in the gamer world I live in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I find I don't get all too hyped up over what's new coming down the pipe from Apple, yeah flame me all ya want but I pay more attention to the Windows side of things being an fervent gamer I always look at the new performance parts that well, Apple isn't going with yet, just my 2 cents in the gamer world I live in.

On the gaming side of things, I'm interested in the latest GPU/CPU and mainboard technology... but really honestly, Windows news isn't that exciting on its own. I tried Win7 and watched the builds come out, but it's never that exciting. I adopted Win95, 98, and XP within days of their release... not that exciting, even as a hardcore gamer. Now DX9 and the Radeon 9700 pro... THAT was exciting... so was DX 8 and the GF3, and T&L and the Voodoo 2 SLI. But Windows?

On the Apple side of things, if you think about the product releases that have made people just go "OMG, how did they...", things are far more exciting. Even since 1998, it's been pretty amazing:

- 1999 iBook Clamshell (come on...)
- 2001 First PowerBook (tell me you didn't want one)
- 2001 iBook G3
- 2002 - iMac G4
- 2003 17" PowerBook (first 17" in the world)
- 2003 12" PowerBook (Still the best Mac Ever...)
- 2005 iPod Nano (not to mention the iPod original release)
- 2007 iPhone

So, yeah, even though there are more meaningful things to do, like building wells in Ethiopia, or starting Micro finance companies in India or Bolivia, seeing what Apple come up with next, is pretty much an annual event. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I'll agree that some of Apple's innovations are nice, however what I said might have been mis-interpreted, I do look forward to what they have coming out, is it worth waiting for that one point of the year for me ? No not really. iPhones are cool but I'll never get one since I only really need a phone to make calls on, iPod, I got one, great lil pocket sized device that holds my entire CD collection and interfaces seamlessly with my car stereo and is awesome on long trips. As I said in my previous posts I'm more geared to the performance end of computing where things like quad core Intel and AMD processors make me warm and fuzzy especially when overclocked to levels they weren't "designed" to work in..... and SLI GTX 285 video cards send me over the edge, to each their own !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I said in my previous posts I'm more geared to the performance end of computing where things like quad core Intel and AMD processors make me warm and fuzzy especially when overclocked to levels they weren't "designed" to work in..... and SLI GTX 285 video cards send me over the edge, to each their own !

Ah, but you didn't. See I agree with what you said just there, but previously you said

I pay more attention to the Windows side of things

Which implies wither that the latest news from nVidia, ATI/AMD and Intel should only excite Windows users, or that Windows is somehow made more exciting by these things. If you consider most gaming and benching is done in Windows, you may have a point of course, but it's not an exclusively Windows benefit.

My point is whatever your OS taste, if you're a hardware geek, then you're a hardware geek, it has nothing to do with Windows. I am with you there!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.