New User General Question

Reaction score
First let me thank everybody whose posts have helped me learn about my new machine over the last 10 days or so.

I have been using PC's, in one variation or another, for over 20 years. I know them well, having built a number of them for friends as well as myself. Two weeks ago, if you told me I would own a Mac, much less be a convert, I would have told you that you were crazy.

We bought an iMac at the suggestion of friends (two graphic designers and a professional photographer) mostly for photos and video editing. The only complaint I have so far is that the mouse isn't quite as responsive as I am used to. Oh, and I miss my "backspace" button (it gets used a lot the way I type).

Here is my question...How are PC manufacturers still in business?

Other than learning curve stuff like closing open programs on the left rather than the right, this is the most user-friendly machine I have ever used. The day we got the machine, we moved about 22,000 photos from an external drive into iPhoto. The 'Faces' feature on iPhoto is unbelievable. Sure, it takes some time to confirm who is who, but it makes finding pictures of specific people a breeze.

The iWork program works better than Office by a longshot. I do miss Publisher, but I have it at work and on my laptop (which will be replaced by a Mac as soon as funds allow).

I guess I will stop here, as I am not telling you anything you don't already know, although I do have one further comment.

You Mac People (and fortunately, that includes me now) need to quit being so quiet about how great these machines are. Invite friends over to use them. Send a notebook home with them for a weekend. Let them see for themselves how a computer SHOULD work.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Welcome to the bright and happy side of computing, where you can actually get work done efficiently. ^-^"

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
windows based pcs do have their merits. that aside, there are certainly a few reasons that windows still dominates for now.

huge installed user base, including servers. part of this is simply legacy, people use windows at work, or their parents have windows machines, and in a way it's kind of like religion; you go with what you know, questioning your "faith" only when new vistas are opened to you (pun intended).

also, massive hardware support and massive game support.

lastly, cost. most people really don't know what they're buying, or don't care. it gets them to the same internet and lets them work with the same photos, documents, movies, etc. so what if it breaks in a couple years - or they simply don't look ahead. this of course doesn't go for the more well made machines like higher priced dells and HPs and specialty brands like alienware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Good to see you are happy, and also so receptive to a totally new computer platform ;)

OP
S
Reaction score
Eric,

I haven't completely lost it:D I do understand the reasons behind the PC and MS still being around. What does amaze me is that I was blind so long to the Mac's capabilities.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sure. ;)
i was just answering to your "still in business" question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
STXQ,

Congratulations on the new Mac. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it.

If you want the mouse to feel more "responsive" as you put it, you might want to check into purchasing an app called SteerMouse. It's a $20 purchase and will give you a closer feel to what you're used to on Windows. Of course, you can give it a whirl with a free trial.

Also, if you miss the delete key that badly, you can always purchase the keyboard with the numeric keypad from Apple for $50. Failing that, you can always hit fn + delete to do the same thing.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks J.Fo. Those are the kinds of tips that I have been reading for a few days that made me join the forum. Stuff that would take me forever to figure out on my own, but is simple once you know it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Mighty mouse

You mention trouble with the Mouse - one of Apple's shortcomings is the inability, it seems, to design and deliver proper input devices. I binned the mouse after a day and use the wireless mouse I had with my PC - much, much better.

As for the keyboard - I binned that, too, and use a Microsoft (yes!) natural keyboard 4,000 - ergonomically much better and with all the keys I'm accustomed to :)

But the computer itself, as you indicate, is a wonder! Love it!

Reaction score
I am brand new, also. Have lots of questions, but just saying hello for now and so far I'm really liking the MacBook.
I've had mine 4 days. Haven't transferred anything yet, but hope to get started on that soon. As for iPhoto, when you import from a PC, are there any major issues? Thanks.

Reaction score
You Mac People (and fortunately, that includes me now) need to quit being so quiet about how great these machines are. Invite friends over to use them. Send a notebook home with them for a weekend. Let them see for themselves how a computer SHOULD work.

Personally, I disagree with you. Not a little, but a lot. I don't want everyone to own a mac; not even a larger amount than currently do. Think about it this way. Just like exotic cars per say, if more and more people begin to own them, they become the standard; the norm. Their not rare anymore and the product's line ability to be distinct, exotic, and rare is no longer so. I firmly believe (whether people agree with me or not) that Apple will hold sustainable only if it continues to keep a low market share. I could write a book on this little theory (more like reality) of mine, but I'll keep it short. They are where they are because people can't have them -- they just want them. Also, while this is a sensitive topic, I believe Apple should *STAY* more expensive than PC's. Why? Because like I said before, this filters people out and keep's Apple's loyal customer base. Of course, they need customers to stay in business and expand, but truly, I believe they should stay low profile and keep their marketing strategy minimal. Besides, if macs became much more prominent, their quality product would decline and they would become what PCs are today. Every industry and company has followed this path and I'm not kidding. When they become greedy, they expand to gain market share and quality control and prices decline and that once Aston Martin (apple) becomes a GM. (PC) Apple should focus on what their good at and if I were them, I don't care what their competition does. It's clearly not as simple as this, but I just like talking about Apple; they rock! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.