• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Wanna see a good movie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Check out "FahrenHYPE 9/11". Totally shines a light in that Michael Moore fabrication "Fahrenheit 9/11". Most interestingly, was the number of "old School" Southern Democrats who support the war on terror. Made me wish we aired 24 hours straight of the live 9/11 CNN footage of that atrocity every year on September 11th to remind those with short memories what's really up. Michael Moore get's to smoke a turd in a fiery place after that movie IMHO. About 1:05 into the movie, there's a soldier who had his arms blown off in Iraq (who was involuntarily put in Moore's film and misrepresented) and is the hardest hitting for me. He asks the camera "Michael, what IS your agenda? Why ARE you doing this? I have a voice, I don't need you. PLEASE stop "helping" me. I feel violated on some level." God I was angry. Good flick for a reality check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Seen it. GREAT movie and it balances out Mooer's drivel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo...1GB RAM
hey all,
would anyone know where i can download good quality movies?

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I'm not a fan of the movie, nor am I a fan of Michael Moore.
There is another great documentary titled "Michael and Me" where a radio talk show host tries to follow Michael Moore and asks him questions about his film "Bowling for Columbine." What's fascinating about the film is that it closely mirrors Moore's first documentary feature, "Roger and Me" where Moore follows the CEO of GM and tries to ask him questions about GM laying off 30,000 employees. In Michael and Me, the talk show host tries to ask Michael some questions regarding some of the facts and footage found in Moore's Bowling for Columbine. I just find the film more compelling than Farenhype 9/11.

Another film is "Michael Moore Hates America." The title is a bit deceiving, but the documentary really focuses on Moore's film making/style, instead of the man himself.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't want to get too involved here because I probably have a very different perspective and opinion than most and I'm not sure many would back me up.

I won't see the movie because I don't want to but I can guess that this movie suffers from the same problem that every documentary does: ignorance of arguments external to their own. So, while it could be argued that I don't know what I'm talking about because I haven't seen the movie, I bet I could critically assess the film and find examples of this very characteristic in the movie. I'm sure if you have an open mind (and I'm not saying you don't), you could find them too.

As for your comment XJ-linux about the misrepresented soldier, I bet you could find soldiers who wished that Moore did interview them who share his views. I'm not saying you're wrong per se but I am simply saying that there are always misrepresented or underrepresented groups in documentaries.

Well, I guess I got involved ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I definitely believe in balanced representation. I don't believe that movie or Michael Moore present a balanced representation. I don't believe in using negative to cancel out negative. IMHO, it just creates more negative. Take Fox's "fair and balanced" news coverage that supposedly balances out the "liberal media". To me, it's all just kids kicking dirt on each other at the playground.

As for watching 9/11 coverage all day every September, I think that's a little extreme. Should we also watch coverage of the devastation of the Pearl Harbor attack, the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagaski, Dresden Germany, and countless other massacres of humanity in modern history? I think all that would end up doing is perpetuating hatred and create more senseless loss of life. We shouldn't forget, but we shouldn't actively try to reopen old wounds either.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I definitely believe in balanced representation. I don't believe that movie or Michael Moore present a balanced representation. I don't believe in using negative to cancel out negative. IMHO, it just creates more negative. Take Fox's "fair and balanced" news coverage that supposedly balances out the "liberal media". To me, it's all just kids kicking dirt on each other at the playground.
I have to disagree. It is very hard to have any form of media to be balanced because there is always a political agenda, especially in documentaries. Rarely (if ever) do you see a media outlet apologize for taking a certain political bent in their representation of particular events or issues. I do agree though that balancing out negative with negative does not equal proper representation of the issue. I truly believe that being critical, an integral part of proper representation, has become synonymous with scathing critique for many people in the media. It's a shame because very often critical analysis of particular issues can be very enlightening. Even so, there is frequently a political goal.

It is impossible to escape your political convictions. Michael Moore and the director of this particular film are no different. There is nothing wrong with this but for many, there is no acknowledgment that this affects your presentation. Therefore, for me, a good documentary is one that acknowledges the political goals of the documentary and acknowledges that there may be merits to the other side.

As for Fox News...I have nothing to say that would be nice :).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.