• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

10.3.9 due soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
According to Think Secret the new build of panther was seeded to developers on friday. Updates:

kernel version updated to 7.9.0, improved Directory Services performance, optimized AFP enumeration performance, video driver fixes, fixes to automounter volume mounting and re-mounting, fax and modem driver fixes, Java garbage collection optimization, fixes to a bug that corrupted copying data to a FAT-formatted drive, improved modem and airfones compatibility, more root certificates added, wake from sleep performance improvements, and a USB 2.0 hard drive mounting compatibility fix.

:)

Maybe the Mini's video drivers will be improved with this update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well sounds like the very last panther update then?

OP
dan828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Thats what they say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
Oooh Tiger must be getting real close then! :D I better start saving to get it!

I mean, begging my dad to buy it for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I read at Appleinsider that sources say 10.3.9 will be ready late March or early April.

K

kingcrowing2

well id tiger is out Q1, is hould be out by April... i guess we'll find out Soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I still think itll be march 31 give or take a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
For the benefit of a newbie, what's Apple's policy on major updates? Will I have to pay to go from Panther to Tiger? My Mac is much less than a year old.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yes youll have to pay, its free from 10.3.x to 10.3.x, but 10.3.x to 10.4 costs 129$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Macman said:
I still think itll be march 31 give or take a week.

yeah i dont know about that anymore.. about a week ago i was sure it was march 31st.. but I have the feeling im wrong. Not sure of another date it would be then.. prolly WWDC 2005?

Reaction score
So what's the forums thoughts on OSX 10.4's value for money.

I mean 10.3 was much better than 10.2 but it wasn't that long ago, Is it going to be worth buying a tiger if you've already got a panther.

Another thought, what do you think the next one will be called ? leopard? Pussycat ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Mr Bobbins said:
Another thought, what do you think the next one will be called ? leopard? Pussycat ?

My guess is Cougar, so everyone be sure to remember that I posted this when 10.5 is announced. :cool:

K

kingcrowing2

See, heres my thought, OS X, just had that dumb orange 9, X had the AQUA, way better, but still weak, 10.2 had that totally PIMP leapord skin (i must admint, it's my buddy icon on ichat!) But then came Panther... BRESHED STEEL! but then whats tiger got... zoomed in brushed steel??? thats weak, apples loosing in (OS wise) so i think tiger is it for OS X, next up...

WSHC OS (Windows_sukz_hard_core OS) and it's logo, a burning four coloured flag, on a t-shirt, being worn by a little elf! but thats just my idea

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I say Tiger will either be released at WWDC or perhaps slightly before which would be late May or June. Definitely not 1Q nor March 31.

If it was March 31, I'm sure that date would have been announced by now and pre-orders would have officially begun at Apple.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Leopard isn't likely, as it's so close to Jaguar and doesn't sound as cool. Cougar's a great guess. It just sounds good, like the others. Lion's also a possibility, even though the word is shorter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
OS10.4 will be worth it, just like 10.3 was worth it and 10.2 and 10.1..

everyone said that about panther.. oooh its too soon for another release ... how much could change?!

yeah its not windows people, mac actually does something with their upgrades every year that windows cant do in 8 years... wait when is longhorn comming out? next quarter times 20?

Reaction score
Yes, 'longhorn' just like Pinocchio nose the release date gets longer and longer. Perhaps that's why they called it 'longhorn'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.