Trouble Installing Game

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Macbook White, the latest model, and I'm trying to install a game called Neverwinter Nights. It's an old game, but I've read on the game boards that people have installed it on their macbooks with Rosetta or Boot Camp or some other means.

But initially what I need help with is how to download the darn thing! I put the CD in, nothing "pops up" (Like in Windows :p) and for the life of me and looking every place on the internet I can not figure out how to do this. It is a windows program. Is this even possible? I know I can purchase a Mac version of the game.

So basically I need a fundamental lesson: If nothing pops up when I put a -windows- cd in, how do I manually install it?! And there is no ".dmg" file I can click on

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can not run any Windows program on your Mac without installing Windows or a Windows emulator.

Rosetta - has nothing to do with Windows - this is an emulator that allows older OS X programs designed to run on PPC chips, run on the Intel chips (the processor - Apple use to use a different processor / CPU than the one it is now using).

Bootcamp allows you to install Windows on your Mac in a separate partition. It will require restarting your machine whenever you want to change back and forth between Windows and OS X.

There are virtual machines that can be used to install Windows so that you do not have to reboot, but none of them are going to be that great for playing games.

Any of the methods used to install Windows, will of course, mean that you will need to purchase a copy of Windows.

You will find it much easier to just purchase the Mac version of the game.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.