Editing html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (2.8 Ghz and 2 gb memory)& MacBook
When I was an XP user and I wanted to update my website I loaded a page from my hard disk, right clicked, the html code loaded into notebook, I could make my amendments and then save back to the hard disk. I then entered FileZilla to put the page live.

Trying this on my brand new iMac I find I cannot make the amendments. I can call up the html code but not amend it. Can anyone help please.

thanks
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You can do this with Text Edit.

Just be sure that you are saving the file as a ".html" file

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry but perhaps it is late but I seem to be a little dull tonight. The file on my hard disk is a html file. If I double click it, it then opens in the default browser (firefox). A right click (I have a graphics tablet) brings up the html source. How do I then get this to text editor?

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Just right click and choose "Open With..." to get to TextEdit.
Alternatively, you could just drag the HTML file to the TextEdit icon and it would open.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi
If I do either of those it opens the web page and not the html code.
I really appreciate this help and I am sure that we will get there soon.

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Tricky:
Go to "TextEdit > preferences > Opening & saving" and check the box marked "ignore richt text commands in html files".

Then open the document again.

Or use an editor designed specifically for working with code: I like Subethaedit, Textmate is also very popular or check out the free smultron.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
You can also use Dashcode which comes with the Developer tools, it will appear in the right click/open with menu ... opens as a basic editor, but highlights elements to make it easier, also has basic completion

Tricky:
Go to "TextEdit > preferences > Opening & saving" and check the box marked "ignore richt text commands in html files".

Then open the document again.

Or use an editor designed specifically for working with code: I like Subethaedit, Textmate is also very popular or check out the free smultron.

nice :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wonderful, many thanks checking the box marked "ignore richt text commands in html files" has worked. I also looked for Dash code but I don't appear to have it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Wonderful, many thanks checking the box marked "ignore richt text commands in html files" has worked. I also looked for Dash code but I don't appear to have it.

You'd need to install the Developer kit, you can either download it from Apple or find on your installer disks (2nd one I think)

to download from apple you need to register with them, but it's free
Apple Developer Connection - Mac Dev Center
in the lower left part, under XCode

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.