white noise on startup plus other questions...

Reaction score
HI

Just got myself a secondhand Late 2004 G4 ibook 14"

the problems are I notice the on board ram as been disabled and if i remove my 1gb the mac does three beeps when trying to start.
not to bothered about the 256mb on board but also could this be a bigger problem waiting to show up.

Also there is a white noise when it chimes.

The sound works spot on in OS X 10.5.6 but just wanted to know if its a problem waiting to happen, as I got 30 days warranty on it as from manchester computer market seller at bowlers.

Also anyone know what the max hd i can use as the 60gb thats in is is over half gone already.

Cheers

vxd

Reaction score
Maybe your ancestors are trying to contact you?

Sorry I can't help

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What bothers me more than that sound is the RAM. I doubt anyone would try and disable the internal ram as they would have to cut traces on the board. So why is it not working. Could be something that will show it's ugly head as you use it more.

Did they give you the OSX install media with the iBook? I am thinking Apple Hardware Test.

OP
F
Reaction score
I have full retail version of OS X due to getting a imac core duo and it not have right recovery disk. so used that.

Newish to mac's so was not sure, but did read on net that there was a way to disable the internal ram
someone on this thread how to disable dimm0 on an ibook 800? [Archive] - The macosxhints Forums

Says that open firmware you can disabled bits of the ram
I will run the memory test, but before this on the about this mac more details bit. did say slot was empty. and looking at the mobo it does seems to have the ram on it I can see the ram for what looks like the system ram there are 4 chips next to each other. then in another place on the board are two more chips that i think are for the video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.