• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 6.0.3 HD compatible camcorders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4ghz
I have been doing some research and most results are for iMovie 8. I just bought a Sony DCR-SX41 and no luck with that. It uses MPEG-2 which takes a converter to upload the files. Not really into that. Anyone had any luck with newer Flash or HD based camcorders with this version of iMovie?

If all else fails I could update to the newer iLife but would like to keep the spending to a minimum.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4ghz
I also just found this. iMovie ’09: Camcorder Support
Now this means I would have to upgrade to iLife 09. Looks like this is the only way to make the newer Flash or HD based camcorders to work with iMovie. Bummer.....oh well.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4ghz
Per Apple I need to upgrade to iLife 09 and move on for less hassle and purchase a camcorder off there list posted above.

Reaction score
What did you do?

I just bought the same camera and am hitting the same issues. What did you end up doing? It doesn't look like iLife 09 supports the DCR-SX41, at least it's not on the list. So did you get another camera or get the add-on converter or neither?

Reaction score
Also, did you have to get the QuickTime MPEG-2 playback component as well as something like MPEG Streamclip to get iMovie to work with the camera? If so, well, did it work?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.