• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Missing Codec

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alu MacBook Pro 15" 2.4ghz
Hi all, when starting iMovie I get an error message saying the codec for importing editing watching movies is missing, i did a google search but cant figure it out, i have updated my iMovie.
Also, I cant play any quicktime movies with quicktime if this is of any help.

Any ideas please..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What type of video are you trying to import? Also, what do you mean you can't play QT movies in QT?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any video, I get the warning when I open iMovie, it says the missing codec is supplied with the installer, so i reinstall, 3 times and nothing.

I cant open quicktime movies, he file has a qt logo so i open with qt and it says this file is not a qt file, when i know it is. Any help.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still no joy! Will take it into my local apple shop I think, driving me mad! Will report back when I/they sort it! For some reason the Mac isnt working how it should do..

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you tried reinstalling QT?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.