• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Getting an iphone/ipod billed as something else...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'll be going to law school this Fall. The law school I'll be attending reimburses up to $2500 (well, it's not a true reimbursement - they increase your student budget and allow you to take out the extra $2500 in federal loans) for a new computer and computer peripherals (monitor, cables, warranty, etc).

One category of "approved accessories" is Palm Pilots/PDAs/Handhelds

OTOH, iPods/mp3 players are ineligible.

Which brings me to the point of my post:

Assuming the school determines that the iPhone falls under the category of iPod/mp3 players (although I certainly think an argument can be made for fitting it under the PDA/Handheld category)...

Would it be possible to purchase an iPhone and have Apple bill it as, say, a printer? So my receipt which I would need to submit to the school for verification would say "Printer xyz - $299.99" when in reality, it was a $299.99 iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I doubt you'll convince the store to participate in what is essentially fraud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Stop trying to scam your school out of money.

OP
C
Reaction score
I doubt you'll convince the store to participate in what is essentially fraud.

Is it fraud? How? Doesn't fraud require damages? If it's illegal (which I didn't know - not in LS yet!), I wouldn't do it.

Stop trying to scam your school out of money.

It's not scamming the school out of any money. They aren't paying for it - they're allowing me to take out additional money in education loans (through private lenders, not federal loans as I said originally...I was mistaken) to pay for it. Not a dime comes from the school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Just charge it on a credit card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you missed the point. The items are not acceptable for the program, therefore falsifying any receipts would be an attempt to defraud. Which, well, pretty much defines fraudulent behavior.. or fraud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Nothing like starting off law school with a little bit of fraud ;P

OP
C
Reaction score
I think you missed the point. The items are not acceptable for the program, therefore falsifying any receipts would be an attempt to defraud. Which, well, pretty much defines fraudulent behavior.. or fraud.

Again, one of the elements of common law fraud is damages to the plaintiff. What damages will they have suffered? Not a dime comes out of their pockets.

I will agree with your underlying sentiment though that it is quite shady and probably unethical (and therefore, I probably won't bother to do it).

'twas more of a mere curiosity than anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing like starting off law school with a little bit of fraud ;P
Doesn't that get you quickly disbared? :D

OP
C
Reaction score
Doesn't that get you quickly disbared? :D

They wouldn't let you sit for the Bar exam. You have to pass a character & fitness exam. If this turned up, you wouldn't be allowed to take the test.

I'll probably just try and convince them that the iphone is a PDA and not an iPod. Likelihood of success on that argument? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They wouldn't let you sit for the Bar exam. You have to pass a character & fitness exam. If this turned up, you wouldn't be allowed to take the test.

I'll probably just try and convince them that the iphone is a PDA and not an iPod. Likelihood of success on that argument? :)
What law school do you go to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, nowhere yet. I don't start until the fall.

I'd rather not disclose where, but it's top 15.
With this threads contents, I wouldn't disclose it. I'd be willing to bet it'd pique the attention of the ethics dept.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I was being facetious, this isn't a serious offense. If you try to get Apple to show it as a printer, then you might get dinged for it as ethics boards can be quite anal. However, if you just try to show that it's a PDA, then worst that could happen is that they deny your request. The school isn't going to penalize you for it and the bar association isn't even going to find out.

I say there's nothing wrong with trying to see if you can get an iPod touch or iPhone approved by the school. What's the worst that can happen, they say no?

Oh btw, congrats on getting into law school. I'm finishing up my first year, finals are just around the corner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
We're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.