Problem with Windows after Fusion install

Reaction score
I have been using BootCamp to run XP for several programs. All was working well, and I decided to try Fusion out and see if all the programs would work on a VM as well. A DVD burning program (1Click DVD Copy Pro) initially worked on BC but did not on Fusion. Unfortunately, when I then used BC to boot XP the program does not work now either. What did Fusion do that would cause this? Either way, as this program is important to me, I did a complete system restore to before I installed Fusion. Now the program is still not burning properly in BC. Please help!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would completely remove the program while booted to native Windows (use Control Panel uninstall) and reinstall it. See if that resolves the problem.

What may have happened while you were attempting to use the program from Fusion is that it may have altered registry settings. Since you're using the BC partition as a VM while in Fusion, settings will be the same when you boot to native Windows.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I completely removed the BC partition and reinstalled Windows XP SP3. Reinstalled the program and have had no problems *knocks on wood*. I guess now I know if I want to run windows as a VM I need to create one independent of my BC partition. Then use BC for the one program and all other times I can simply run it as a VM.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad you resolved it. And yes, it's best not to use your BC partition as a VM. However, that seems to only be a problem with XP and not Vista. I know that sounds strange but Vista uses a different type of boot sector and method of booting that gives it good immunity from corruption.

Vista is good for something. :)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.