Help Needed: Writing FAQs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
We're looking for help! As you can see, there is a new forum, Just the FAQs, and as the title suggests, it's a place for FAQs on various topics.

As we begin to organize this forum, obviously there will be alot of work to be done and as wonderful as we are, the Mac-Forums.com staff could use some help in this.

If you're interested in helping out by writing some or all of a FAQ, send me a note. Once we have a list of members who are interested, we'll get out a list of starting topics we'd like the FAQs to be on.

Thanks everyone for your help! :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
A FAQ on Disk Images needs to be done, as we've discussed before. I'm willing to help on this one.

I'm particularly fond of this writeuphere. But it's not a FAQ-style thing yet, so I'll need to rework it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
haha figured that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm not sure if my iBook troubleshooting guide could be turned into a iBook hardware Faq...

Needs some spit & polish though... any volunteers?
I'd also be willing to whip up a faq with answers to a few common switcher questions... unless someone's already doing that one?

G

Gar

id be interested in writing an faq about the terminal.app im in final yr and writing my thesis though. joint effort anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I already pmed schweb that Id help, as far as topics, maybe some simple stuff as well, like changing icons, deleting preferences to apps, locations of things, itunes library for example.
setting up multiple accounts, etc.

K

kingcrowing2

I'll do a FAQ about minimum specs for OS X, what apple says you need, what you need as a minimum (including Xpostfacto for older macs), what you SHOULD have, and what systems will do what you need in OS X (Ex. B&W, iMac, Powerbook G3-wallstreet will all perform well under OS X, as a minimum), if thats something you might want in the FAQ, i'd be interested... it was something I WISH i had when i was making the switch to apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I'd be glad to help write a FAQ. Maybe I can focus on the command line: Using root user and terminal for crons for example, so easy, anyone can do it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i would love to help but my knowlege is pretty basic...

there should def be a "what mac is right for you" faq
and an "you should definately get at least 512MB of ram from crucial" faq
and...someone on vwvortex made a little animation which shows a mouse going to the search dialogue and then some words going into the search button and then searching for something...it is a pretty harsh way to say "use the search function"

just my ideas for now
-chris

M

meltbanana314

Gar said:
id be interested in writing an faq about the terminal.app im in final yr and writing my thesis though. joint effort anyone?

I have limited experience with UNIX, but I could help chip in with some of the simpler, more tedious aspects of using the terminal, I suppose.

Send me a PM with what you want to accomplish, me and my O'Reilly book will be waiting.

M

mMmApples

umm I couldn't figure out how to delete this.... so i edited it. I originally thought for some reason (its 4 20 am here.. crappy excuse...) that you needed help writing (which equaled typing in my mind) and I was more than willing to help. I read the rest of the posts and realized my error... While i am here I'll help you guys in any way that i can

::inserts foot into mouth:: :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
do you think there should be something on the mac myth? Something like reference to the video about pipelines between PC and Mac? Benchmarks? (Or is doing this just asking for trouble?...seen many a comparison thread on this issue) :confused:

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK....thanks to everyone who volunteered to write a FAQ. Here's the specifics....

As you can see in the FAQ forum, I have created the threads for several different FAQs that we'd like to start with. If you're interested in taking one of them (besides the Mac-Forums.com FAQ), please post in this thread so we know who is doing which one.

The available FAQs are:
  • iBook
  • Powerbook
  • PowerMac
  • iMac
  • Mac mini
  • iPod
  • Mac OS X
  • iLife
  • iWork
Those will be the onee we'll start with. So please feel free to pick one.

When you're writing please keep the following in mind:
  • Keep it simple! These are mainly geared towards beginners. If we need advanced FAQs later, we'll add them.
  • Search the Forums!!! I can't stress this enough. When you start writing it, be sure to look through the forums to find any questions that pertain to your FAQ that keep coming up here again and again.
  • When you've completed it, please send it to me via e-mail at schweb{at]mac-forums.com. Please just use plain text and send it as an attachment.
The format of the FAQs will be that every Q & A will have it's own post in the thread. That way it's easy to refer people to the specific answer by linking to that specific post.

J

Jefe3223

Hi. Quick question, I'm up for doing one of them (I've been writing an ibook one), but I was wondering if you want to do one on "choosing the right computer for you" ('cause that's always a big question on the boards...I think I mentioned it a long time ago, but wanted to through it back out)
I'd be up for putting something like that together, too.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, we may eventually do that one, but we wanted to start with these first.

Also, if you'll be doing one of those listed, be sure to post here that you are so someone doesn't also work on it at the same time.

J

Jefe3223

Ok, thanks Schweb.

To all:
Hi, ya'll. I'll be (i'd like to be) working on an *ibook* FAQ. I'll go through the threads and find the most common portable mac problems and slap them with a good answer. If anyone who, for whatever reason, missed out on this chance to claim it and would like to help, give advice, or work on it together, leave me a message (personal, not a thread reply) on mac-forums or email at [email protected]. Thanks all, lets make these look dang good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.