VirtualBox: New VM from BootCamp Partition

Reaction score
Is this possible? I've searched the boards and found mixed answers. I have already installed XP via BootCamp and have several programs installed on that partition. I'd like to create a VM that is derived from this same system. Is it possible?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't believe that option is yet supported by Virtual Box. It is, however, supported by both Parallels and Fusion.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
That's the answer I was expecting. One more question if you don't mind.

Say I download Fusion and create a VM from my BC partition. I assume this VM will be saved on my MacHD. If I find that Fusion runs all the programs I need, will I then be able to remove the BC partition and retain the XP VM through Fusion?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's the answer I was expecting. One more question if you don't mind.

Say I download Fusion and create a VM from my BC partition. I assume this VM will be saved on my MacHD. If I find that Fusion runs all the programs I need, will I then be able to remove the BC partition and retain the XP VM through Fusion?

No. If you choose to use your BC partition as a VM within Fusion, you must retain the physical BC partition. The only way would be to create another VM with Fusion first, reinstall Windows, activate it and so forth, then remove the BC partition.

BTW, I do not recommend using a XP BC partition as a Virtual Machine for Fusion or Parallels. There's a fairly good chance of causing corruption to the XP boot sector if you do. Believe it or not, Vista works well both ways but not XP. (Vista uses a different boot sector and method.)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I know there is a company working on real time Multi boot chip sets, but that they are developing for the Gov. Basically what they are doing is you would have a multi partitioned comp with lets say two OSes install, when you power it up it would boot off of both partitions and with a key combo you would be able to switch between those Oses.

OP
L
Reaction score
No. If you choose to use your BC partition as a VM within Fusion, you must retain the physical BC partition. The only way would be to create another VM with Fusion first, reinstall Windows, activate it and so forth, then remove the BC partition.

BTW, I do not recommend using a XP BC partition as a Virtual Machine for Fusion or Parallels. There's a fairly good chance of causing corruption to the XP boot sector if you do. Believe it or not, Vista works well both ways but not XP. (Vista uses a different boot sector and method.)

Regards.

Thanks for the help.. after installing Fusion it was pretty evident this was the case. I'll give it a try for now and if all goes well I'll likely remove the BC partition and start fresh with a new VM.

Reaction score
I agree with chscag. Ultimately, I deleted my BC partition and related VM, and did a new VM with XP, as I didn't really need to reboot for my applications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.