Parallels and windows XP

Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of switching to Mac (Imac 24) but would like a few details about Parallels because I will have to keep using Windows XP for a few things.

When in parallels with Windows XP, can I access hardware settings? For instance, can I change the MAC address of the network card?

What are the limitations of using XP in such an environment?

Thank you for your help :)

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Accessing hardware settings from within a VM are limited. Both Parallels and Fusion provide "tools" which emulate certain hardware items such as the hard drive, CD\DVD drive, graphics, sound, and so forth. Changing hardware settings like the MAC address of a network card are generally not permitted.

As far as running XP in a VM, it works well and is fairly seamless. If you're a gamer and need 3D acceleration, fast frame rates, etc, running in a VM is not recommended. Best to dual boot using the Boot Camp Assistant.

Regards.

Reaction score
can an ipod be used for the boot camp disk?

this is my first post so i dont even know if im writing in the right place but i wanted to install windows xp on my macbook that is running leopard. i was going to partition my hd but someone told me i might be able to use my ipod as the disk and i was wondering if this is possible

thanks if u can help

OP
T
Reaction score
Suppose I have an application that needs to access the network card in Windows XP and that needs a special MAC address, is that going to work in Parallels?
Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Suppose I have an application that needs to access the network card in Windows XP and that needs a special MAC address, is that going to work in Parallels? Thank you.

Probably not, but don't take my opinion on that as final. Best to ask one of the Parallels experts who hang out on their user forum:

Parallels Forums

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.