• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Hauppauge HD PVR on EyeTV

Reaction score
About 9 months ago I purchased an EyeTV 250 Plus to use to record video games. So far I've been frustrated with several things. One of those problems is widescreen. One of my pet peeves is full screen, especially when there's possible widescreen, like Youtube (Which is where I wanted to put most of my videos). So far I haven't been able to find a way to either record the video in widescreen (And I mean something different that changing the aspect ratio so that it cuts off the top and bottom of the screen) or export it correctly in good quality while in widescreen.

My other problem was overall quality. The basic quality of the recording isn't horrible, but yet it doesn't fulfill my expectations, which as you can tell by now are high. I've messed around with the settings on multiple occasions and have never been able to find one that meets my expectations (Some of my problems have been the sharpness of the picture, the color and as I've already stated, widescreen).

So here comes the main question. I have recently been searching for a new capture card, mainly one that is high definition. While looking I found the Hauppauge HD PVR. This capture card stood out to me for two main reasons: It is decently cheep, and it is also recently compatible with the software EyeTV (The software used for the EyeTV 250 Plus). My question is whether I should have the same problems with EyeTV if I bought the Hauppauge HD PVR.

PS. If you know of any other softwares that would work with the Hauppauge HD PVR on the mac, please let me know. I'm just wondering whether I could save some money by staying with EyeTV. Also, if you know good settings to try with the EyeTV 250. Plus please let me know so I could try it out.

Much Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Have you tried setting the quality to "High (DVD 90 minutes)"? Or setting it to a custom setting? You're not going to get better resolution than what your cable provider can do btw.

Also if your cable provider is not providing widescreen, then you're not going to record widescreen. Although if your games/tv is widescreen then you should be able to record as is.. in widescreen...

What your cable company is sending you is going to make all the difference with whatever card you have as far as I know.

Maybe someone else that knows a bit more about this stuff will be able to help more than I can :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes I have tried "High (DVD 90 minutes)", and I've also set the custom settings to as high encoding as you can get. And like I'd said, I'm using my EyeTV for video games, so quality of tv recording isn't as big of a priority for me. Thanks for the reply though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.