• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Isaac Asimov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Any Isaac Asimov fans here?

I just finished the original Foundation series (the first three). It is so good! I also got through a bunch of his short stories. And 'I, Robot'. All top notch.

The Last Question -- Isaac Asimov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Big fan of his robot works here. I've read all the novels and short story collections, as well as the Foundation series. I actually had to order one short story collection that was only published in the UK to round it all up. I have to admit his writing style is a bit dated... but some of his ideas were really revolutionary and downright brilliant. In particular his concept of psychohistory, which has since attained real credibility as a scientific and statistical field.

BTW... I had the opportunity to rant about this the other day, so I'll do it again. The movie "I, Robot" was a complete *******ization of the material it was "based on" and a downright insult to Dr. Asimov's legacy. Whoever wrote that script obviously didn't understand the source material.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I read his short stories, it was intersting to say the least

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
BTW... I had the opportunity to rant about this the other day, so I'll do it again. The movie "I, Robot" was a complete *******ization of the material it was "based on" and a downright insult to Dr. Asimov's legacy. Whoever wrote that script obviously didn't understand the source material.

I have not seen any movies based off Asimov's work...and I never will.

I am trying to build a sizable collection of his works. My next step is to get the rest of the Foundation series and finish that off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have not seen any movies based off Asimov's work...and I never will.

I am trying to build a sizable collection of his works. My next step is to get the rest of the Foundation series and finish that off.

To get all of the robot short stories, you'll need the following:

The Complete Robot
Robot Dreams
Robot Visions
Gold

These collectively have all the short stories ever published. There's a lot of overlap, and the middle two titles are only really necessary for a story found only in their respective titles.

I also highly recommend the Caliban trilogy. These novels were written by Roger MacBride Allen with Dr. Asimov's blessings and cooperation. They are very well done.

There's also a 6-book series called Robot City, and a sequel 6-book series subtitled Robots and Aliens. Each novel was written by a different author, all with Dr. Asimov's blessings. The first series is worth reading. The second... I can say it's worth reading because the robots are faced with the challenge "What defines a human?" and causes problems in how the Laws of Robotics are applied. The biggest problem with this series is it features sentient alien life, which isn't supposed to exist by canon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
genius

Though it's been many many years since I read Assimov, might have to dig some old books out of the attic

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.