Why Does iMovie Pop Up Every Time I Start Up OSX

Reaction score
Every time I turn on my laptop, it goes to the home screen and iMovie pops up. lol I don't know why i haven't even touched the app since I got this macbook.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Check System Preferences, Accounts, and Login Items. See if somehow iMovie got into Login Items and is checked. If so, zap it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
Check System Preferences, Accounts, and Login Items. See if somehow iMovie got into Login Items and is checked. If so, zap it.

Exactly, this should solve your problem :D.

Reaction score
I've seen this many times from people just starting to use OS X. An errant mouse click (or release) on the dock menu of an application causes it to "Open at Login". Happens to many people.

Reaction score
iMovie turns on every time I turn on my iMac

I have the same problem..When I turn on my iMac then iMovie opens up every time.I did what you said by going too system Preferences>Account>Login Items> and iMovie was checked so I unchecked it.The next day I turn on my iMac it open's up again... So I went back too Login Items and it was unchecked.Now every time I turn on my iMac it open's.Help me please!:(:'(:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Checked and unchecked in that list only means it will be hidden. You have to remove it from the login items list if you don't want it to launch every time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also are you running Lion? Is iMovie completely quit before you reboot?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.