setting up Mail

Reaction score
I have just got a new macbook.I want to use my current email address which is a pop3.I have followed all instruction using "mac cheat".I have phoned applecare who can't really suggest why it wont work(they said maybe because when asked the type of account I want I can only say "pop" not "pop3")I phoned virgin and they check all my details and said everything was ok but they didn't know much about macs.I can send mail but not receive any.Please can anyone suggest anything? Jean

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have just got a new macbook.I want to use my current email address which is a pop3.

Here you state your incoming email server address as provided is POP3.

I have phoned applecare who can't really suggest why it wont work(they said maybe because when asked the type of account I want I can only say "pop" not "pop3")

Is the incoming server address POP3 or not? What kind of an account do you have with Virgin?

If you can send mail through Virgin, then Mac Mail is working. Your outgoing SMTP server address must be OK. However, it's your incoming server address that's not working. Again, is it a POP3 incoming server address or isn't it?

Can you post the incoming server address and your outgoing server address so we can try to figure something out?

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
mail

yes it is a pop3 account. out going address is ---smtp.virgin.net,and incoming pop.virgin.net. I have tried mail.virgin.net and pop3.virgin.net. When setting up my account initially I had to choose from a dropdown menu "account type"pop or imap or exchange.I couldn't choose pop3 and thats what everyone thinks is causing the problem.Sorry this sounds very garbled hope you understand it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On the drop down menu, choose "pop" and then enter "pop.virgin.net". The assumption is that the account is pop3 even though the drop down menu states it as pop. Be sure to enter your correct password when asked.

Regards.

Reaction score
I too am having the same issue. I've just bought a new macbook pro running os x 10.5.6. I have a virgin.net email an can receive e-mails no hassle, but cannot send e-mails.

I've followed the setup to the letter from the virginmedia.com (Setting up Mail for Mac OS 10.5 - Getting started - email - National - Help - Virgin Media) but to no avail.

If anyone else has experienced this and can offer any help, it will be gratefully received.

Thanks Paul.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.