Having trouble with disk utlility

Reaction score
I bought a case of DVD+RW discs. On the first burn they work fine, no problems at all. When I want to put something new on them I bring the into disc utility and do a full erase. After this my mac only sees them as non writable. Well Toast Titanium to be specific. Is there something I should be doing different to erase them?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming your drive is capable of burning DVDs.... (you didn't mention which model Mac you have)

Have you tried writing to them again using Disk Utility? And you might try erasing them with Toast to see if they're useable afterward.

Also, how about CD+RW media? If you have one you can test with, write to it, erase, and then attempt to write to it again. If you can successfully erase and write again to a CD+RW and not DVD+RW, that may indicate a problem with the drive itself.

I do not have DVD+RW media that I can test with Disk Utility or Burn. I have found for the most part that DVD+RW media are unreliable (regardless of the brand) and no longer use them. As inexpensive as DVD+R media is, there really is no point in using re-writable DVDs.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Agree with above post and use Verbatim DVD+R discs no problems at all and they are quite cheap in bulk. Go to About this Mac>More Info>Disc Burning and check if DVD+RW are specified there.

One thing you need to be aware of is that if you use Toast to erase the disc, the subsequent burns must be made with Toast ONLY.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.