• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

MacBook Air Survives Plane Crash - and still boots!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When a Turkish Airways Flight crashed in Amsterdam earlier this year, killing nine people and injuring 121 others, there was one survivor that makes a pretty convincing case for unibody Airline construction: Passenger Sefer Baris’ MacBook Air.

mbair.jpg

Amazing... more in the full article here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Amazing! Thanks for posting this CWA!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
I just sent this to some guys in our engineering dept demanding we build units this tough, wow!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The body is warped the screen is 1/2 shattered. It's had massive G forces on it during impact. And it still works. Wow. This proves that macs can survive things which people can not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Massively warped and screen is unusable, yes it still boots which is simply amazing, but would you call that surviving? To me surviving would be defined as the guy could still use it normally.

Kudos to Apple for their impressive build quality. Any other computer would have shattered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I guess you can take solace in the fact that the hard drive is still intact and thus the owner can still pull his data off of it easily. Any other laptop's hard drive would have been damaged to the point where the owner would have to use a data recovery service.

Reaction score
Thats very impressive. I wonder how one of the unibody Macbooks would have fared?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
I guess you can take solace in the fact that the hard drive is still intact and thus the owner can still pull his data off of it easily. Any other laptop's hard drive would have been damaged to the point where the owner would have to use a data recovery service.

I would say thats prolly because it's a solid state drive. Nonetheless it is amazing that the laptop still works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree with your praise of Apple here.

Well people are in crashes and they sustain massive injuries but they are not dead. They survived and need to be fixed by doctors to work properly. And same here. The mac looks like a hunk of wrecked metal but it still works. And could be fixed to be kind of usable again. it's not totally dead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.