bad floppy disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook black 2.2 GHz, 4Gb Ram - iPhone 4
my mom gave me a floppy disk (which contains excel files) to copy to a usb drive. the problem is, when we put the disk in drive a, it says the disk needs to be formatted. i asked her, and it is the same disk she has been using and has already been formatted. i googled the problem, and all i see is the same info over and over, and from what i am reading, all the free programs are junk and won't do what i need to do. does anyone have any idea how to access this disk? if i have to go to the command prompt, i will, just give me the steps.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does your mom have a PC? I wonder how the floppy is formatted?

Reaction score
Try booting from an Ubuntu Live CD and see if that will read the disk. Do you know what OS the floppy was formatted on?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Assuming the floppy disk is a standard 1.44 MB or 720 K floppy. (If it's an IBM HD 2.88 MB, all bets are off.)

Sometimes, a floppy disk formatted and written to on one machine is not recognized on another. This can occur because of head misalignment on the machine it was originally written to.

I suggest trying to extract the Excel files from the floppy when it is in the machine where it was originally written to. If that's not possible, you may be able to extract the data using a copy of Norton Utilities. Some versions of NU have a disk low level disk editor (diskedit.exe) which can read files on a floppy such as the one you have.

Regards.

OP
ericg2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook black 2.2 GHz, 4Gb Ram - iPhone 4
thanks... i'll try the NU and see what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.