• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Capturing through DV convertor produces dropouts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad Core 8gb Ram. ATI Radeon HD 2600 OSX 10.5.6
People
I am capturing from a VHS machine (and have now recreated the issue from a DVD player) through an Apple DV Convertor. In the resulting Imovie project I get occasional dropouts which translate to tiny jumps in the captured footage. I seem to lose literally fractions of a second but in music it is really annoying. I was working on a dual 1.8 processor G5 with a much earlier version of Imovie and got this a lot. I had hoped that a Mac Pro 2 x 2.8Quad core would make a pretty good job but I am still getting these glitches. I have upgraded to ilife 09 (and I like the new imovie as it happens) I have also bought a second convertor, tried a different VHS player, bought a new scart lead and tried it on my Mac Book Pro, it is always the same, dozens of tiny dropouts, very frustrating. Macs are renowned for their mighty media creation so there must be a way around this. It must be something I have not found or am doing wrong. Has anyone else had this issue? I have days of footage awaiting capture, please help.
Thanks
Phil.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You need to tell people what converter products you are using and software versions. Apple does not make a DV converter.

One thing you can try is to to capture to a different drive instead of your startup drive.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad Core 8gb Ram. ATI Radeon HD 2600 OSX 10.5.6
What I'm Using

You're right, it is a Formac Digitiser/DV Convertor and I am using imovie 8.0.1. I am already capturing to a drive other than the start up. It's in situ too, not USB or Firewire. Thing is though this has followed me through various versions of imovie, three VHS players, a DVD player, two convertors, three Macs and two scart leads. Maybe it is the convertor. Are there other capture devices for Macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'm guessing the box converts analog to a firewire DV stream. In that case I'd suspect the converter is the issue, although that isn't absolute. Also, VCRs can drop frames and sometimes DVD players too. I was just talking to someone about this a few moments ago.

You might want to look into a time base corrector as discussed at the link.

Several people, me included, have used an Elgato Hybrid TV tuner to convert some old tapes I made. Since Hollywood productions have protection, I'd expect to see interference. The problem is you need to convert the recording to something friendly to iMovie.

I don't see the point with using such a device with DVDs since software can handle that. MPEG Streamclip may be helpful with non protected DVDs. For others do a Google search for the following words; mac "OS X" ripper

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.