• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Toast reducing quality on video file?

Reaction score
I've been trying to burn a concert video file to DVD. I've been using Toast for a long time and know it pretty well. This is an .mov file taken and compiled from YouTube. I know Youtube quality isn't the greatest but this file actually looks really good. When I play it as an .mov file full-screen on my computer the quality is great and the colour is vibrant.

Then when I try and burn it to DVD the colour is slightly washed out and the quality is really blocky. I have the burning options set at BEST quality.

This is really frustrating. Am I doing something wrong? :|

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's probably just a side effect of the compression needed to fit it onto a single DVD. How big is the MOV file?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Only thing I can think of is when you convert from say AVI to a DVD there is some loss. I am sure the same goes for MOV. When converting from one format to another there is always some loss that I can see. MOV or AVI will not play on a DVD player without conversion.

OP
P
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is when you convert from say AVI to a DVD there is some loss. I am sure the same goes for MOV. When converting from one format to another there is always some loss that I can see. MOV or AVI will not play on a DVD player without conversion.

Thanks for your input. Is there anything at all I can do, to get this on DVD at acceptable quality?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In Toast are you selecting DVD Video from the Video Tab and then dropping in your MOV? If so do you see a panel to the left where you select the Menu style? If so my Toast has a slider at the bottom of that panel with Video Quality. Is yours set to Best?

Reaction score
similar problem

I just finished a freelance commercial and i'm trying to burn it onto a dvd. Same problem! Started as a high quality .mov, but the resulting dvd has dull colour- even with the highest settings.

Burning with idvd keeps the quality reasonably similar but then you are forced to have to choose one of many themes and there seems no way to have it just play.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.