Probably a dumb question...

Reaction score
Im new to mac, so be gentle. I dont understand why I have a application icon(front row) on my desktop. I thought that you would be able to remove from the desktop without throwing it in the trash. And putting it in the trash seems like it wants to delete the program, not what i thought was a shortcut.

Thank You

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Right click on the icon and select "Get Info". Under the "General" section it should tell you what kind of file it is (be it an application, shortcut, etc).

If it's an application, perhaps you mistakenly dragged it from your Applications folder on to the desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You have probably moved the front row application to the desktop

Is the front row icon missing from the Applications folder?

If it is, then simply move the FrontRow icon back to the Applications folder.

If you want a link on the desktop, create an alias of Front Row (right click to get the Make alias command), then move the alias to the desktop. An alias is the Mac OS equivalent of a windows shortcut

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And, just to make sure you know, anything you delete from the "Desktop" will be deleted (moved to the trash).

You can remove application icons from the "Dock" and the app is not deleted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.