so im going to move to mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone
ive always been a pc user but once i go to university im going to take the plunge and become a mac user.
Ive not decided which laptop im going to get yet but i expect itll be a macbook pro, but what i was wondering is whether or not to get an imac or mac mini aswell?
advice would be welcomed, both on whether or not to get a desktop and as to which laptop to buy
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Switcher section.

MBP & external monitor. No reason to have two computers when one will do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB 1333MHz 320GB / 60G iPod Touch
I agree... if you have the bucks to get the MB Pro, then go for it! I myself got the Macbook and I'm just happy with it... and yeah, don't see why u should get another computer... the MB will do.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
MBP is pretty much a desktop replacement. Even more so with an external 30 inch screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Macbook w 4 GB RAM & 320 GB HD
I'm running a Macbook (upgraded to 4 GB RAM & 320 MB drive) as a laptop away from home, and hooked up to a 24" Dell monitor when I am at home...

Works like a charm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
Yeah I think the MBP is a great choice! Honestly a MBP with an external screen, keyboard, mouse, and possibly an external hard drive to backup all of your school work will be the perfect setup.

I have my 2.4ghz Macbook aluminum, 22" w2207 LCD, Apple wireless keyboard, Logitech VX revolution, and an Iomega 500gb external drive. It is the perfect setup for my needs.

The only reason you would want to get another computer is if you need portability in one and power in the another. For example like a 13" Macbook and a Mac Pro.

If you want to check out my setup just to get an idea check out my video:
YouTube - JMDylan's Mac Setup!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You're going to uni... and getting a MacBook Pro... and want to know if you should get a desktop too? wtfz0r? I wish I had that kinda cash, and I'm a college graduate! lol. Maybe if you gave some details about how you'll be using the machines we could make a better suggestion.

Reaction score
As a recent PC-to-MAC converter myself ( I have the latest MacBook) I can safely say it was one of the best decisions I have ever made tech-wise. The break-in period - ie.. forgetting the PC way and getting use to using the MAC system - was frustrating for me big time. We're talking a first week of me screaming... "WHY do I have to do it this way? I never had to do it this way on my old PC!!!!" So, here it comes - no brainer here... - I would suggest getting your MAC asap and allowing plenty of time to re-format yourself to its computing ways (unless your MAC savvy already). Now that I am fully MAC-house trained, I can't imagine life without it and literally keep my MacBook beside my bed.

GC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.