Invalid format?

Reaction score
i recent bought a set of , i believe they are dvi cables for my my macbook pro. they are the only cables ive ever seen used to connect monitors and pcs.
they work great when i use them to hook up to my new lg tv. it is full hd1080p. the only problem is now when i start a simple program like starcraft i lose picture on the tv and it says invalid format. once i close starcraft the dasktop come back on with no problems. any help would be great as i would love to enjoy starcraft on my big screen.

Reaction score
What other software gives you this problem...or is it specific to StarCraft? The last time I checked, that game runs at really low resolution (like 640x480 or something), and it's possible the resolution may be too low for your TV.

OP
M
Reaction score
in system preferences i can choose displays, the resolition for my LG comes up and tried adjusting it to lower resolutions such as 800x600 and 640x480. the same alert comes up saying invalid format. it is an alert from the tv, similar to an alert when it says there is no signal.

Reaction score
If your TV gives a "no signal" error at those low resolutions, they are unsupported. I would look into running StarCraft in windowed mode, if it's even possible.

Reaction score
I don't know if you have solved this problem, but it is probably a problem with your tv, not your mac... it happens a lot with LG tvs running 1080p (I own an LG tv too and get the error all the time with my PS3)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Starcraft is one of those games with not much in the reolution options. And it looks horrible fullscreen on a modern monitor cause of it. Just use it windowed like I do and it looks nice as nice as the day is was released :) A friend does this on his TV. Hooked up to his Mac. I dunno how he sets it up but the SC screen is in the middle and around it is just black. Maybe there's a way to set it up like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.