• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HDR S11e Sony HD Camcorder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alu MacBook Pro 15" 2.4ghz
Hi all, a little issue im having.

Just purchased this camera HDR-SR11E (HDRSR11E) : Overview : Camcorders : Sony

Im having a few issues getting the files. They are showing as exe files and cant be opened on the my MacBook Pro.

Am i missing something, I think I am?? Please help me, i dont want to go through any conversions or nowt, just want to be able to drag and drop.

Any help much appreciated. :) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'm guessing that you should just connect the camera and then open your video edit to import the appropriate footage. See Apples current iMovie tutorials. You don't drag and drop AVCHD files. If I recall right, AVCHD files are converted to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) format in both iMovie and Final Cut Express. Also, iMovie makes a thumbnail version that allows very quick scrubbing through you content.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to take the footage into After Effects and Prem Pro. Will quality be lost if it goes through a conversion?

And must i go through iMovie?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never mind found a way, it has to be imovie, another loada money gots to be spent, this conversion from pc to mac really taking its toll on the pockets....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
...another loada money gots to be spent...
What do you mean? iMovie comes installed on that new aluminum Macbook you list in your profile.

If by Prem Pro you mean Adobe Premier, I think I just read that it reads that format natively. You'll have to double check that, and it may be a point upgrade.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, splashed out on Adobe software. Yeah I do mean Premier, but it doesnt see it, hmm. Let me get back to you.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, it says not supported! Should it support it? It has HD settings but it just wont let me import it. I am a bit of a novice at this so please excuse my lack of knowledge.
And iMovie does not have an option for HD output...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This Adobe page suggests otherwise.

Go straight from shoot to edit using faster tapeless workflows TIME-SAVER

Save time when importing P2, AVCHD, XDCAM, and RED footage by skipping the time-consuming transcoding and rewrapping processes. For example, benchmark tests show that native AVCHD support in Adobe® Premiere® Pro CS4 makes the task three times as fast* as importing the same footage in Apple Final Cut Pro 6.

Are you using Premiere Pro CS4 or something older. Check the Premiere forum for answers.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im using cs4, I have updated the software. It says its the latest.
I plug my cam in like it says in the manual, follow the steps, step by step, tbh an idiot could do it! But it greys out the file I wish to import, i managed to get it into iMovie but there is no HD output settings.

I will read up some more on the adobe forums, thanks for all the help xstep.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still not managed to resolve this issue if anyone has any ideas I would be most happy.

The Mac only sees them as Exec files and wont open them, it says AVCHD is supported in Premier Pro CS4 so what am I doing wrong??
Pulling my hair out, almost! Is it something to do with when I export the footage from the camera? Or Finalize the footage in some way before export?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See my iMovie Export Guide to figure out how to export HD or any available size and codec from iMovie.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The files are showing as CPI or CIP cant recall off hand but the mac doesnt want to open them. I have tried to convert the files and everything else I can think of, some rumours are that Sony does not support Mac, is this true?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.