• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

VHS into Imovie (HD6) with Pyro AV Link

Reaction score
OK, here goes, I really hope someone can help. I have read so much online about how this proces is so easy and works flawlessly on the mac... not for me!

First off I do know and understand the process in which VHS is imported into Imovie, my problem is that its not working.

I am using the ADS Tech Pyro Av Link as the av to dv bridge. Its connected to my eMac G4 running OS 10.3.9, both of which are compatible with the Pyro.

Heres the problem: Imovie see's the connection, the Pyro does what it's supposed to do as far as switching from digital to analog mode upon import, but with all VHS tapes I have tried after 2 seconds of Importing it gets stuck on a frame, the audio starts going crazy and sometimes Imovie either loses the connection or says No Camera found. All this while the tape continues to play in the VCR, so at some point Imovie loses it. I also tried a program called Vidi. This actually worked on the first tape I tried, a very neat application, saves directly to a dv file. I thought I was all set, none worked after that, it does the same thing as Imovie

The VCR I'm using has auto tracking but no manual tracking buttons, Could it be that the tracking is bad on the tapes and therefore causing Imovie to not import?

I have tons of VHS tapes and I really want this process to work. I have everything I need to do it. I am extremely frustrated that this isn't working for me, seems as though it's just my luck.

I don't think its a hardware issue as I have no problems using Imovie with my digital video camera imports.

Any Info would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone is familiar with the Pyro AV Link, I'm curious what your dip-switches on the back of the unit are set at. I have read many threads with different settings and I also read the the manual for the Pyro had incorrect settings printed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.