Need help with finding software for OS X 10.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, 256MB nVidia Graphics, 250 HDD
Hey! :Smirk:

I'm new here and striving for some help with my new Power Mac G4. I've got very low specs (for what I've been reading when trying to download software lately), which troubles me to find "functional" versions of what I need.

Far by now, I've been using it with ease... but my internet is back and I have no Skype, no MSN and no decent video reproducer (Quicktime just DOESN'T work with anything).

I downloaded certain versions of VLC PLayer and MSN that crash when running... I just downloaded Skype, but I notice I don't qualify to the requirements they're asking for (like 800MHz)... can somebody help me to get started with my new Mac?

My specs are:

• Machine Model: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
  • CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.9)
  • Number Of CPUs: 1
  • CPU Speed: 400 MHz
  • L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
  • Memory: 1 GB
  • Bus Speed: 100 MHz
  • Boot ROM Version: 3.2.2f1

I'm running on: OS X 10.3.9 (Panther... right?). Thanks in advance. ;D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The Mac you have is quite old and you will be limited in what you can do (equate this to a PC with the same specs running Windows 98 for example). I would suggest searching through the pages of the software you want to see if an older version is still made available. For example, the OnyX website still makes versions available for Tiger, Panther and Jaguar.

What piece of software are you having a hard time getting a hold of besides Skype?

EDIT: Skype has older versions available through their DevZone. Read more about that here. I want to warn you though that older versions may be more problematic than actually worth using. For instance, you may have difficulties in Skype connecting with new users (I can't say for sure though).

Reaction score
MacLovin-
Here are my specs:
Machine Model - Power Mac G4
CPU Type - PowerPC G4 (2.1)
CPU Speed - 933 MHz
L2 Cache - 256 KB
L3 Cache - 2 MB
Memory - 1.25 GB
Bus Speed - 133 MHz

I had Panther installed at 1st but did a complete wipe of my HD and installed Leopard 10.5 (then did the update to 10.5.6). My computer runs very nice right now. Granted I'm not doing anything too extensive but for surfing the web, emails, music, etc, the computer runs great.

OP
MacLovin85
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacLovin-
Here are my specs:
Machine Model - Power Mac G4
CPU Type - PowerPC G4 (2.1)
CPU Speed - 933 MHz
L2 Cache - 256 KB
L3 Cache - 2 MB
Memory - 1.25 GB
Bus Speed - 133 MHz

I had Panther installed at 1st but did a complete wipe of my HD and installed Leopard 10.5 (then did the update to 10.5.6). My computer runs very nice right now. Granted I'm not doing anything too extensive but for surfing the web, emails, music, etc, the computer runs great.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm aware my G4 is tad old now... but I'm willing to make the best out of it before I move on into a newer model (which is going to take a while). :)

As for the software I'm looking... I just need something like VLC Player (because Quicktime is running too slow my movies, probably I lack codecs or something) and a functional Skype and MSN Messenger. I'm striving to run ONLY what I need (nothing fancy, just working, communication and little entertainment in form of music and videos). Other than these, I'm done.

Since I'm new to this (and my PC is so outdated), I've been having problems to find exactly what I need... I have downloaded many "old" versions of the softwares mentioned above and all they do is crash... so, I'm kind of losing my patience down here. :Shouting:

Reaction score
I would suggest that you try to find a copy of Tiger (10.4) to install on your machine (check eBay). Do a clean install and I'll bet you have better luck with some of the things you are trying to do.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As for the software I'm looking... I just need something like VLC Player (because Quicktime is running too slow my movies, probably I lack codecs or something) and a functional Skype and MSN Messenger. I'm striving to run ONLY what I need (nothing fancy, just working, communication and little entertainment in form of music and videos). Other than these, I'm done.

VLC - Look towards the bottom of this page for the latest version for Panther. Here is a direct link.
Skype - Listed in my last post
MSN - I recommend Adium, which has a version for 10.3.9 (look under all the logos). Here is a direct link.

OP
MacLovin85
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks!!!

VLC - Look towards the bottom of this page for the latest version for Panther. Here is a direct link.
Skype - Listed in my last post
MSN - I recommend Adium, which has a version for 10.3.9 (look under all the logos). Here is a direct link.

God... I was so absorbed doing what I needed with these programs that I almost forgot to come back and say THANKS!!! :Shouting:

Thank you so much for the help. You Vansmith and the people who posted. With these little applications, I've got what it takes to face the rest of the time until my newer Mac pops up.

My videos keep giving an error, though:
ffmpeg: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)

I'm guessing I'll have to look for another player. But this thread completely satisfied my purpose, thanks you very much people for helping me out!! :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Video and flash are going to be brutal on that machine. You would be best to watch your videos on a different machine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have Tiger on a 500Mhz PowerMac G4 AGP like yours with 1GB RAM. Tiger runs fine and more newer software will run and you get a much better version of Safari. Tiger in overall usage seems faster than Panther on the same machine.

Like Van said, Flash videos are a tad jerky but I got around that with a faster AGP card from Ebay. Did not cost all that much and the You Tube videos are now quite watchable as long as you have nothing else running.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.