• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Traveling, backing sort of

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 2gb Ram
I'm an Australian, about to head off to UK, Parts of Europe, USA and Canada for about 10 months
Trying to decide if I should take my macbook pro 17".

PROs
- book flights, hostels, etc.
- transfer photos form camera for storage/upload.
- search places I want to go.
- skype back home.

CONs
- extra weight to carry.
- target for theft.
- getting power adapters

Thoughts?

Also I saw on here ages ago about de-charging a macbook for storage up to a year?
Anyone have a link to it, I couldn't find it in the search.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I can't imagine hauling around a 17" laptop. It would probably be more cost-effective to pick up a cheap Linux-based netbook for the basic tasks you need.

As far as maintaining the battery, just deplete it to about 3/4 of a charge and then turn it off and remove the battery. It should store fine.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 2gb Ram
A friend just got a little acer netbook for travel but it was well...horrible, but as you say it will get me by.

I think I will end up leaving it at home, maybe just getting an iphone or another web enabled phone.

Still a bit worried about what I will do with my photos.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A friend just got a little acer netbook for travel but it was well...horrible, but as you say it will get me by.

I think I will end up leaving it at home, maybe just getting an iphone or another web enabled phone.

Still a bit worried about what I will do with my photos.

It's really all about the OS on netbooks. If they've installed a decent version of Linux, then you'll be OK. If I was going to get one, I would likely reformat it and start over with Ubuntu's "Netbook Remix", which is said to be excellent.

Knowing Acer, it was probably their own customized Linux build, with documentation in Engrish. I can only imagine how bad it was.

As far as your photos, I would carry an external HDD of significant size to attach to the netbook and upload and store your photos on. Make sure you get one with a ruggedized case and a decent warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.