• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How can I get Sony handycam DCR-TRV265E footage onto my Mac?

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently got a MacBook but have not used it very creatively...yet!
A friend has a Sony handycam DCR-TRV265E with lots of full tapes of footage. She has asked if she can somehow get it onto my Mac to then edit. I have no idea how to hook it up (or anything else at the mo!) as the camera has jacks not usb. Anyone know how I can go about this.

ANY help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Nic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The spec page says the camera has USB and i.Link (firewire) ports. USB will not work off of a tape camera so that leaves you requiring a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable. Depending on local sources, it may be cheeper to order online.

If your Macbook is one the newer aluminum ones without a firewire port, then you have to get a gadget that accepts the analog input and plugs into your computer via the USB port. I use my Elgato Hybrid TV tuner for that.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable. I will have a look on Amazon & Ebay to see what they look like & cost. I'm guessing it will be pretty straight forward. xstep, thanks so much for your advice, good to learn something new & get to explore my Mac.

Nicola.

Reaction score
on a separate note, i wanted to ask if a firewire convertor would be required to transmit video to the new unibody MBP? cus im not sure if the standard firewire plug goes into the firewire plug i have in my machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If you mean FW400 to FW800, yes that exists and is just a cable converter. You can find some at monoprice. Given the prices, you might be better off getting a single cable, 9pin-4pin.

If you are talking about FW-USB, no such thing currently available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB : G4 : 1.25Ghz : OS X 10.5.8
I'm having problems getting iMovie 06 to see my DCR-TRV265E PAL camcorder. Did you have any luck Nic with getting video footage onto your Mac Book?

One of the suggestions by Apple is to remove the battery and the small backup battery for 5 minutes so that the Camcorder needs the time reset. I can't find the backup battery and there seems to be no reference to it in the manual or online.

Does anyone know where it is located?

My current connection is from the camcorder iLink to a 6 pin firewire port on my PowerBook. Would it increase my chances of compatibility if I bought a cable from iLink to the 9 pin firewire port?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.