how to create power point like presentation on leopard

Reaction score
I want create presentations using some mac application. I can use MS powerpoint but is there any other application exclusively for apple users. What's the point in again using MS tools when u have spent almost double for an apple machine. Thx in advance for help.

Reaction score
I want create presentations using some mac application. I can use MS powerpoint but is there any other application exclusively for apple users. What's the point in again using MS tools when u have spent almost double for an apple machine. Thx in advance for help.

Keynote

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I can use MS powerpoint but is there any other application exclusively for apple users. What's the point in again using MS tools...
....Because it's the right tool or application for the job at hand?

Don't get caught up in petty arguments about brand names, etc.
Just use what works the best for you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

As you've been advised, Keynote from iWork08 or 09 is very good. However, I'd like to make you aware that Microsoft was writing and publishing Office applications for the Mac BEFORE Windows. Microsoft Office for the Mac is still a "Cash Cow" for MS and will be for some time to come.

So, don't belittle something that works right.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Another option you have is to use the mac version of Open Office (porting: Download OpenOffice.org for Mac OSX) - Impress is their presentation portion of the software and can export to a power point format if you need.

I personally don't have any problem with MS Office, but as I am trying to migrate away from my windows installs and I can't currently afford office for mac I'm having to use alternative tools until I can get MS Office for mac (besides, I'm also saving and waiting for the next version where they're supposed to re-implement vba scripting)

OP
P
Reaction score
As you've been advised, Keynote from iWork08 or 09 is very good. However, I'd like to make you aware that Microsoft was writing and publishing Office applications for the Mac BEFORE Windows. Microsoft Office for the Mac is still a "Cash Cow" for MS and will be for some time to come.

So, don't belittle something that works right.

Regards.

point taken....thx for all the help guys and yes i researched a little about powerpoint yesterday and found that PowerPoint was initially developed in 1984 by Forethought, Inc., Sunnyvale, California, for the Macintosh computer before they were taken over by Microsoft. Lesson learnt here - just don't belittle something that works right and don't play ego games with tools...after all they are just tools, right? I stand corrected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
one more thing...does keynote come pre-loaded with latest leopard version or will I have to buy it frm apple guys?

You would have to buy it in addition to the computer. It comes as part of iWork, which also includes Pages (for word processing) and Numbers (a spreadsheets application). If you get iWork when you purchase the Mac, you can get it for $49, which is $20 less than the retail price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
How to create Powerpoint presentation on Leopard

I bought iWorks 09 along with my computer, and Keynote does indeed make some spectacular presentations. Just bear in mind though that even though it will save as a Powerpoint readable file, that it will not contain any of the attributes such as animations or slide transitions that you see in Keynote. Any movies will show, but they will launch in Quicktime and not show embedded in the slide as they do in Keynote. It is like comparing ginger ale and Perrier Jouet. As an experiment however, I saved my Keynote presentation as a Quicktime movie and that works perfectly. Everything is maintained, only problem is the file size is still very big. OK if you are planning on burning it to a DVD or showing it on your own computer, but way too big to email unless you are uploading it to a large format site.
I have posted the question re the possibility of reducing the file size of the Quicktime movie on the Movie forum on this site. You might want to keep an eye out and see what kind of response I get.
Keynote is amazing though - really!

Reaction score
Another option you have is to use the mac version of Open Office (porting: Download OpenOffice.org for Mac OSX) - Impress is their presentation portion of the software and can export to a power point format if you need.

I personally don't have any problem with MS Office, but as I am trying to migrate away from my windows installs and I can't currently afford office for mac I'm having to use alternative tools until I can get MS Office for mac (besides, I'm also saving and waiting for the next version where they're supposed to re-implement vba scripting)
As far as I'm concerned, OpenOffice Impress is a direct replacement for PowerPoint and it's free. I use it all the time to create .ppt slides, .pps slideshows, etc. It isn't quite as feature-rich as PowerPoint, but I don't use 95% of those features anyhow.

Reaction score
I recently made it a point to learn as much as I could about Keynote, and the tutorials on the website really helped me out a lot. I think Keynote is probably the best presentation application that I have ever used. I've been using Keynote to make presentations for my school, and people have been asking me about it because they were all really impressed by what it can do. I'm just glad that I have a place to go to when I wanted to learn about Keynote, unlike the times when I was stuck with PowerPoint and I didn't know where to go to learn more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.